Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

table partitioning Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 3:43 AM

I planning to do table partitioning using the region wise. in my region table there are 18 region are there.... is it required for 18 partition ?

Could any one suggest me to do best in scenario.
Post #1430383
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:28 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:33 AM
Please do NOT just try to implement partitioning without a VERY good knowledge of it and a VERY good understanding of WHY you think you need it in the first place!! It is a complex subsystem and I have lost track of the number of clients and forum posters that have messed things up with it!!

Do your self and your company a HUGE favor and get a professional on board for a few days to help you understand your needs and potential solutions to problems!!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1430475
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:42 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Thanks for your suggestion....

Could you please suggest me how to do the table partitioning using number of filegroup....?
Post #1430522
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:14 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:58 AM
Why are you partitioning? What's the goal here?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1430537
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:53 PM
SSC Rookie

planning to do the partitioning for the main table with region wise.....So that we can split the data into a different file group and the data accessible also will be more fast ?

Post #1430613
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:58 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

What are you trying to achieve by partitioning?

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1430619
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:19 PM
SSC Rookie

Instead of moving records to a separate table. i am looking for a solution to move items into a different partition once they are old and require archiving...

Post #1430666
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:12 AM

SSC-Forever

Cool. In that case the business rules for how, when and by what criteria rows are archived will guide your choice of partition column.

Gail Shaw

Post #1430857
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 12:49 PM
SSC Rookie

Cool. In that case the business rules for how, when and by what criteria rows are archived will guide your choice of partition column.

Thank you.

I want to create 3 partitions Based on the List of region (RegionGroup1Current,RegionGroup2Current,RegionGroupCurrent) and Other 3 for one month old data (RegionGroup1Old,RegionGroup2Current,RegionGroupOld)

Here am looking to keep current data in first 3 partitions and after one month need to move into other 3 partitions based on the date.

Here i need to consider region and date.

Thanks in advance
Post #1431685
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 1:03 PM

SSC-Forever

ratheesh4sql (3/15/2013)
I want to create 3 partitions Based on the List of region

So the business rule is that you always archive and delete an entire region at a time. Odd, but if that's the rule then partitioning by region will help with archiving (which you said was the reason for partitioning in the first place)

Gail Shaw

Post #1431697
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse