Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

BIDS (SQL Server Business Intellence Studio) has been replaced by Data Tools (SSDT)?? Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 1:48 PM
I have a SQL Server 2012 enterprise Instance and I've been asked to install 'BIDS' on several 32 bit XP Clients.

When I attempted to use my SQL Server 2012 installation media - I couldn't because the media would not run on a 32bit client (surprise surprise)

Made sense so I hit google.. Then I discoverd that BIDS (SQL Server Business Intellence Studio) has been replaced by Data Tools (SSDT) in SQL Server 2012... is that correct?

If that is the case, does anyone know if I install the BIDS on the XP Client will they be able to use it against the SQL Server 2012 instance? Not sure if it is forward compatible.

If it's NOT compatible, I figure my two options are:
stand up a 64 bit Windows 7 client for them and install the 2012 Data tools
Try and get a hold of SQL Server 2012 32bit install media (I suspect this does not exist)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Post #1428474
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 3:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:40 AM
SSDT is the new BIDS for SQL2012.

BIDS wont work with 2012 as SSDT is written in VS2010 not VS2008.

Your two options are correct, upgrade to 64 bit machines or get the 32bit install of SQL 2012.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1428484
Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:01 AM
You can run SSDT (based on VS 2010) on a 32-bit machine but it requires Vista or newer.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1433005
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse