Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Two Plugs Away Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:55 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Two Plugs Away

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1427199
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:19 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 3:30 PM
Desks on wheels is an interesting idea.

I used to work at very "free flowing" organization. The furniture was simple standard cube farm fare.

We didn't have desks on wheels but we did periodically have "floor moves" to bring teams physically together. I recall one of my colleagues going on holiday. Whilst she was away a floor move was conceived, planned and executed. She came back to find she didn't even work on the same floor any more. Someone had packed and moved her area; but she had to find and unpack it herself.
Post #1427245
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
Love the idea of being able to move my entire desk, it would make life a lot easier for our office services guys as well.

I've seen loads of designs for workspaces that have been intended to make the workplace a better environment for employees. All were well intentioned, not all were successful.

The fundamental questions around workspace design should be:-
1. Does this foster a productive environment?
2. Does this reduce staff turnover with particular attention to the most productive employees

Personally, day-glo walls and bean bags don't make me more productive or affect my decision to stay with a company.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1427250
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:16 AM
The desks on wheels seems to be a practical solution and much more humane then a clear desk policy to allow all desks to be hot desks. If we all spend so much of our time at work then when you remove the humanity from the environment people start to feel as though they are being treated as automaton or cattle. Neither which helps anyone feeling valued which I think is a key driver in productivity.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1427307
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:51 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:03 AM
Think this is an excellent idea.

I think physical proximity to your team is important. Cuts down on the requirement to have meetings and you don't need to store up questions as a lot may be answered the minute they arise.

Can be useful when the team first gets together varies from person to person some are very good at using phones / skype.
Post #1427418
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:16 AM
Dalkeith (3/6/2013)
Think this is an excellent idea.

I think physical proximity to your team is important. Cuts down on the requirement to have meetings and you don't need to store up questions as a lot may be answered the minute they arise.

Can be useful when the team first gets together varies from person to person some are very good at using phones / skype.

I even like using communicator for quick questions (both asking and answering), however, at some places they see one person abuse it and remove from everyone. There will always be abusers but that shouldn't invalidate it as a good business tool.

There have been plenty of studies on team communications. I would like to see how this fits in with current thinking in that area.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1427451
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:15 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

It certainly sounds interesting. I'd like to give the desk on wheels a try if I go back to an office.

Post #1427484
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:07 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:15 AM
I also like the idea.

We have hand-helds and laptops, portable phones and almost everything on the move except the desk. The idea of a paperless workplace is not possible; we have achieved a more paperless workplace so we still need a desk for the papers and other trappings of the job, plus the desk holds those things we want at work to make it more "ours". As long as we need to have these things we should not let them be an anchor, they should move with us.

Wheels -> Might be a great idea.

Along this line anyone been reading about how Yahoo has changed things up? I guess the idea is to get back to the office everyday or get out. Interesting approach to a modern office solution. And apologies Steve if you put out an editorial on this and I missed it.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1427513
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Miles Neale (3/6/2013)

Along this line anyone been reading about how Yahoo has changed things up? I guess the idea is to get back to the office everyday or get out. Interesting approach to a modern office solution. And apologies Steve if you put out an editorial on this and I missed it.

M.

Coming ;)

Post #1427533
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:51 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:45 PM
Awesome Idea. Desks on wheels. Too many times moving teams has involved a day of lost work trying to pack it all up and move to the new area and get re-established.

I'd really love the chance to pull some pranks with those desks too.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1427709
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse