Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Can't find options to retain partitions in SSAS Tabular Deployment? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:35 PM
So I have created a new Tabular cube on 2012, deployed it for a while. And created a few new partitions via SSMS in the server to cover all the data.

Now I have made some changes in the project, planning to deploy it to the server, but can NOT find an option to ignore existing partitions (that are not defined in the project itself)

I have tried it on a test db, and no matter what i do... the project seems to deploy its definition, and overwrite what's on the server. meaning all the partitions that i created after deploy are WIPED!

I have billions of rows of data, so reprocessing all the missing partitions are really not preferable... and managing the partitions in project but not in ssms is also not preferable as we typicall use scripts to add / manage partitions after it goes live

we have found some blog posts about changing .deploymentoptions file... but we don't know what value we should change to (not in BOL).. we changed it to "RetainPartitions" as a test.. but that doesn't work

anyone has been through this? thanks

Post #1426555
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:15 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 28, 2014 9:40 AM
I'm having the same issue. If you have figured out a workaround, please post it. As of now I think I'm going to create partitions based on querys that returns no data (where 0 = 1). Then I can switch that after a deployment.
Post #1455620
Posted Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:16 PM
http://christianwade.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/deploy-with-bism-normalizer-and-retain-dynamic-partitions/

Post #1473295
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 5:02 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:35 PM
just wanna loop back to the original post.. and say that thanks for the suggestion to BISM normalizer.. it definitely works.. and it's actually a much simpler deployment process now than the right click deploy from SSDT (which is always scary)

thanks!
Post #1480214
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse