Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Does Connect Work? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 2:10 PM
I have not used it. Might in the future but will continue to use other avenues to get the information to MS when appropriate.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1426395
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 1:54 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:54 AM
Gary Varga (3/4/2013)
. . . As a community we want better products and know that our collective opinions and knowledge count.

Microsoft has people who "own this line of communication." They need from time to time someone to let them know that their performance is under scrutiny.
Post #1426454
Posted Monday, March 4, 2013 3:45 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:08 AM
I've largely given up on Connect. Sometimes I'll get a reminder about an item or a notification of something that could use some support, but too many I've submitted got a "Closed - will not fix" type response to make it worth my while submitting any sort of report. If I thought it was important enough to submit as a bug, then it should at least get some sort of pertinent comment indicating that someone actually looked at it and considered it.

I've also seen some things submitted that show up well after the fact as "fixed in the next version" which is just about equally useless if our company isn't upgrading to the next version so we can use whatever was fixed.

Sure it works sometimes, but on the whole I find it an exercise in futility to submit anything and just concentrate on finding a workaround instead.

Post #1426496
Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:54 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:55 AM
I'm still waiting for an explanation of why hundreds of perfectly valid bug reports were recently deleted. Even if they were closed as "won't fix", it was useful to know that the bug existed, and to see any possible workarounds.

I've lost count of the number of links to Connect bug reports I've clicked on in recent months which return "page not found" errors.

And I've seen too many valid bugs closed with comments to the effect that "we haven't got time to fix this now; we'll look at it later" which have then never been fixed.

Post #1426842
Posted Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:52 AM
richardd (3/5/2013)
I'm still waiting for an explanation of why hundreds of perfectly valid bug reports were recently deleted. Even if they were closed as "won't fix", it was useful to know that the bug existed, and to see any possible workarounds.

I've lost count of the number of links to Connect bug reports I've clicked on in recent months which return "page not found" errors.

And I've seen too many valid bugs closed with comments to the effect that "we haven't got time to fix this now; we'll look at it later" which have then never been fixed.

Far from professional behaviour. Corporate responsibility Microsoft? Eh?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1426855
Posted Wednesday, March 6, 2013 8:51 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:09 AM
Revenant (3/4/2013)
Gary Varga (3/4/2013)
. . . As a community we want better products and know that our collective opinions and knowledge count.

Microsoft has people who "own this line of communication." They need from time to time someone to let them know that their performance is under scrutiny.

Please tell them that the cost of filling in all the fields required in a thorough manner is overwhelmingly too high to be worthwhile based on the expected response, which is for nothing to be done - this is overwhelmingly the most common response. The second most expected response is a note in the Connect article of "Will be fixed in next version", followed by it still being an issue in the next version. This is like the first response, except users have to wait quite awhile to see that.

It takes hours to do a thorough study of an issue, write up good explanations and precise instructions for how to repeat the results, as well as exploring for workarounds and writing up any found. For very interesting or intermittent issues, it takes much longer.

If it takes 4 hours to do that, and we expect less than 5% of Connect items to actually have something done about them, then we expect to spend in excess of 80 hours of effort per item actually addressed... with no idea which one of the items submitted will be addressed, if any.

Sorry; in all but the most critical cases, it's simply not worth the time.
Post #1427468
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 12:05 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 4:14 PM
One of my favorite ones is: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/778203/books-on-line-has-bad-email-address-for-send-feedback
Pretty much the moral is: feedback does not work by design and it won't be fixed

It actually works for me, so it looks that Microsoft fixed it.
Post #1430556
Posted Friday, March 15, 2013 6:26 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:52 AM
magasvs (3/13/2013)
One of my favorite ones is: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/778203/books-on-line-has-bad-email-address-for-send-feedback
Pretty much the moral is: feedback does not work by design and it won't be fixed

It actually works for me, so it looks that Microsoft fixed it.

Unfortunately mail servers cannot send an automated response nor could they automate it to be processed by another system...hold on...erm...

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1431497
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:28 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, June 7, 2014 7:51 PM
Steve can you post this for adam?

[url=http://sqlblog.com/blogs/adam_machanic/archive/2013/05/15/insert-select-is-broken-ask-microsoft-to-fix-it.aspx][/url]

Post #1460504
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM

This was posted in the editorial.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1460514
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse