Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Reorganize index online option Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:25 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:21 PM
Does Reorganizing index with online option causes high disk I/O...I noticed users are getting timeouts after running reorganizing index command for 2 hrs??

Post #1425321
Posted Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:33 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:25 AM
Yes, index reorganization can cause a lot of I/O depending on how much work the reorganize decides it needs to perform to organize the index. They do not cause long-running blocking operations, i.e. they are online operations, but do cause short-lived blocking as they move through the index. It can impact I/O performance due to it reading index pages and writing entries to the transaction log as it rewrites pages. Ideally they should be done during off-peak hours to avoid impact to system users.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1425347
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 7:19 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, August 05, 2013 12:00 PM
Have a look at this topic:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic887666-146-1.aspx

Regards,

André CR
Post #1429252
Posted Monday, March 11, 2013 7:25 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:08 AM
I have a busy system 24 hours a day so have to rebuild indexes with users present. Online rebuilds help but yes it hits the disks and the cpus, causes blocking and deadlocks for the users.
Any form of index rebuilds will be disruptive to a system except when it's not being used.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #1429256
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse