Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

IS 2008 Triggering an Excel Macro via Script Task - The Binary Code for the script is not found Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:06 PM
Debbie Edwards (3/6/2013)
Im horribly close to having to sign this off as a no can do at the moment which is really dissapointing.

From what I can gather I possibly need to execute the VBA Script using c# script within the IS Task but again there seeems to be no documentation on how to do this.

But Again I cant get enough out of the information I have to know that that is right

You need a Script Task in SSIS which will perform the Excel automation for you. This task would need to effectively load the spreadsheet in Excel - programmatically - and call the macro. That's roughly what the link I posted was doing - albeit from a native C# app rather than a script task (should not be much difference).

Without C# or VB skills, I believe you will struggle to complete this task, I am afraid.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1427514
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:52 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:58 AM
Phil Parkin (3/6/2013)
Debbie Edwards (3/6/2013)
Im horribly close to having to sign this off as a no can do at the moment which is really dissapointing.

From what I can gather I possibly need to execute the VBA Script using c# script within the IS Task but again there seeems to be no documentation on how to do this.

But Again I cant get enough out of the information I have to know that that is right

You need a Script Task in SSIS which will perform the Excel automation for you. This task would need to effectively load the spreadsheet in Excel - programmatically - and call the macro. That's roughly what the link I posted was doing - albeit from a native C# app rather than a script task (should not be much difference).

Without C# or VB skills, I believe you will struggle to complete this task, I am afraid.

What I was hoping for is something like

This is the extra bit of code you need to add and this is why...

And here is where you put the VB Code you have already created.

At the moment I dont know what section is what, or if I need to change the code I have already created to include more information.

I thought there would be something somewhere that would take you through the process step by step so I could learn how to do it.

Do I need to add C# code or can I stick with VB?

From what you have just said I do have a script task in SSIS
The Macro I have successfully does everything I need it too with the xls
The only bit I have missing is where I call the macro within the task
Thats the only bit Im missing.
And I cant work out where that bit is in the link you sent me an how it works with the VB Script I already have.I do hate so being beaten when I feel like Im so near.
Post #1427829
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:46 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:34 AM
I was under the impression that you can output data to Excel from SSIS but you can't format it; which it sounds like it is what you are trying to do.

The following is only a suggestion and would only work in Excel 2007 and higher.

From office 2007 onwards, all the document types (docx,xlsx etc) are effectively XML files with a different extension; all of the formatting is held within the XML tags. You could use a script to generate the document headers and follow the DOM (available from the microsoft site) to actualy build the XML string that will create the document. It really depends on how complicated your formatting gets.

I admit to never having used this technique in SSIS, but I did successfully write programs in Progress4GL which generated a xlsx document with cell formatting and the principle woudl be similar.

Another alternative would be to have a .bat file that opens Excel with a specific file and macro that loops through the created spreadsheets and applies the formatting. It is a wicked combination of technologies and I wouldn't fancy managing the ongoing development but in one respect it is easier because the components are all separate and the stack can be built gradually.

Excel Master file with a macro that runs on opening
.bat file that calls Excel with the Master File which triggers the script to run
Execute process task that calls the batch file
Post #1428136
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:09 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Thanks for that. I wouldnt go for the second option, Its way beyond my capabilites.

There are lots of docs on the internet saying you can add a script task in Integratin services and then deploy the vBA script from their (The macro)

bu then it all gets vague and doesnt tell you the specifics on how to do it. Its very frustrating. I have code which works and an IS package to add it too.

I just dont have the bit of script that would call the macro wthin the package.

I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow where Im going to tell him Ive been beaten. Gutted!
Post #1428155
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 4:39 AM
SSC-Addicted

As an extra on this...

I went back to the original error in the Integration Services script package

The Binary Code for the script is not found. Please open the script in the designer by clicking edit script button and make sure it builds successfully

I hadnt realised I could click Build so I did and now I have a new error coming up (Which is at least getting somewhere)

Statement is not valid in a namespace.

Using this I think I might have found a forum post that does what I need. Gives you the extra bit of script and shos you where the code goes

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlintegrationservices/thread/87f896aa-5fff-40d3-a054-b0cc4d742ad4

Im not totally sure yet as I havent tested it but that was what I should have done... Clicked build and then used this to get further errors
Post #1428512
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 5:51 AM
SSC-Addicted

Ok so I am further on with it now I have clicked build.

I have added some more script around the code I already had

' Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Script Task
' Write scripts using Microsoft Visual Basic
' The ScriptMain class is the entry point of the Script Task within Integration Services

Imports System
Imports System.Data
Imports System.Math
Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Public Class ScriptMain

' The execution engine calls this method when the task executes.
' To access the object model, use the Dts object. Connections, variables, events,
' and logging features are available as static members of the Dts class.
' Before returning from this method, set the value of Dts.TaskResult to indicate success or failure.
'
' To open Code and Text Editor Help, press F1.
' To open Object Browser, press Ctrl+Alt+J.

Sub FormatSpreadsheetPS_V3()

My VBA Script

End Sub

End Class

Now I have done this I have lots and lots of errors such as......

'DisplayAlerts' is not a member of 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Application'
Name 'Workbooks' is not declared.
Name 'curr' is not declared.
Name 'ActiveWorkbook' is not declared.
Name 'EXH' is not declared.

And so on and so on so obviously I need to do something else. The good thing is that at least its doing something now.

If any one has any best guesses what my next move should be it would be greatly apprieciated.

(I imagine I may get a comment that just says declare everything, I understand that but some more input on how you go about doing this would be good)

Debbie
Post #1428539
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 8:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 PM
Did you verify that Excel is installed on the machine you are trying to execute the SSIS package on?

Post #1428627
Posted Friday, March 8, 2013 9:39 AM
SSC-Addicted

Yes Im happy that Excel is on the machine and that the right version is being used.

I also went through this documentation

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/8b52557b-cd13-4db6-87b6-230b7e051a9e/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=227

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3921141/SSIS-Script-Task-and-Microsoft-Office-Automation.htm

to ensure the correct Excel object is referenced.

o If you are automating Microsoft Office Excel 2007, the type library appears as Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library in the References list.
o If you are automating Microsoft Office Excel 2003, the type library appears as Microsoft Excel 11.0 Object Library in the References list.
o If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2002, the type library appears as Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library in the References list
o If you are automating Microsoft Excel 2000, the type library appears as Microsoft Excel 9.0 Object Library in the References list.
o If you are automating Microsoft Excel 97, the type library appears as Microsoft Excel 8.0 Object Library in the References list

So Im happy with all that.
Post #1428658
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse