Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Look Beyond the First Result Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 25, 2013 10:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Look Beyond the First Result

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1423882
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:52 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:00 AM
Surely this is an example of the natural progression of BI usage, is it not? Businesses tend to be interested in trends as they are looking at catering for what they percieve as the majority. That was all that they were doing. Having not seen how it was delivered, it is possible - and likely - that they did not make it clear what the criteria they offered as a default was thereby allowing Mac users, in this case, to say "Actually, I want to target a different criteria for my room".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1423984
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:32 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:30 AM
I think targeted advertising is OK providing that the end user is made explicitly aware of what the targeting preferences are.

Taking the Orbitz example, it could be argued that targeting one section of the user base with items at a different price level to another section of the user base in a covert manner is potentially illegal under unfair contract terms legislation. The same could be argued if the targeting was done under generic site T&Cs.

However, if the end user could see on their screen what targeting was available and being used, and had the choice of turning it off or on, then the targeting becomes obvious and fair.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1423997
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:42 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 6, 2014 11:09 AM
Was it then impossible for the OSx user to resort the content and find a better price? If so I would agree about the questionable ethics. On the other hand, if the user simply accepts what is displayed without doing further research they are just as culpable...if, indeed, there is any culpability to be assigned.

Many years ago I learned that just because you see SALE in huge letters in a store window (an early physical corollary to a web page ) it does NOT mean that the prices you will find are lower. In fact it was proven that the impression of a SALE would bring in customer more than willing to pay more because they forgot the basic rule of commerce: caveat emptor.

------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson
Post #1424027
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 15, 2013 7:58 AM
I resent the notion that, just because I may be more affluent than another person, I should be expected to pay more for everything I buy. I purchased a BMW a few years ago, but sold it when it became obvious that every time I took it in for service the charge was higher than I paid for comparable service on other cars I've owned. And when I had to have repairs performed, I was looking at a mid 4-figure repair bill.

Like any sensible consumer, I want to get a product or service of acceptable value at an acceptable price. I DON'T expect to be fleeced by merchants who tell me they are doing me a favor by pushing higher priced (but not necessarily better) options, in the hope that I'll fatten their bottom line.

This is self-serving greed, nothing less. That Orbitz has discovered Apple customers can be manipulated to buy higher-priced options is bad enough. That they are unapologetic is worse still.

And please...Stop with all this "consumers want targeted ads" baloney. Consumers view ads as a distraction or obstruction which prevents or delays their enjoyment of content. Any other interpretation is just wishful thinking. I will avail myself of every possible technology to avoid ads.
Post #1424069
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:33 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:30 AM
Consumers view ads as a distraction or obstruction which prevents or delays their enjoyment of content. Any other interpretation is just wishful thinking.

Totally agree!!

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1424079
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:43 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
You might resent it, but the fact is most affluent people are viewed by everyone else as having deeper pockets. So, they tend to be a target for stuff like this. If people know you are affluent and you tip like everyone else does at most restaurants just watch the looks you will get. People expect it because they know you can afford it. If people know you are affluent and you don't give handsomely to a charity that is seeking your donation just watch the looks you will get from them. If people know you are affluent and you only put $10 in the offering plate on Sunday just see how welcome you are there from then on. Look at all the people who will come out of the woodwork hitting you up for money if you ever hit the lottery? Show up to work every day driving a shiny brand new Corvette and see how people's perception of you will suddenly change. It's not really fair I know to be viewed by everyone as a bank roll, but then again, who in world ever told you the world was fair?

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1424084
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 15, 2013 7:58 AM
I know the world expects me to pay more, just because I can afford it. I don't buy from those leeches for the same reason I don't buy a Lamborghini to drive to the grocery store. It is an over-priced vanity product with no more additional value for my needs than buying a Chevy Malibu.

What's really under attack here is the whole philosophy of the so-called "free market." We were all told that free markets allow consumers to buy goods at the lowest price because of competition. But that whole system is completely overwhelmed by Madison Avenue, which has honed the fine art of hyperbole and deception to the point where consumers can be made to believe they MUST have the latest fad, even to the point of neglecting important purchases of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter. You can claim that consumers themselves are to blame for being fooled, but if we are honest, we have to admit that consumers are not always told the truth, or are not always given all the information they need to make an informed decision.

When Orbitz sorts the travel search results for Apple users to place the higher-priced options first, and doesn't display a big red flashing message saying, "We know you have more money, so we're hoping you'll choose these expensive travel plans without question," they are being deceptive and certainly NOT forthcoming about how they have manipulated the search results for their own corporate gain. They made the decision that their corporate profit was more important than helping me save money. I have no respect for their tactics or their motives.
Post #1424098
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
DavidBrown-731687 (2/26/2013)
You can claim that consumers themselves are to blame for being fooled, but if we are honest, we have to admit that consumers are not always told the truth, or are not always given all the information they need to make an informed decision.

Hmmmmm, consumers not being told the the truth, wow! what a novel idea. With all due respect to you sir, what planet have you been living on lately? This whole marketplace is based on deception, you just have to deal with it. We live in a world of the haves and the have nots.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1424103
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:17 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:00 AM
Sales have been targeted for a LONG time. Door to door salesmen (and women) didn't pick streets at random. You don't think that when you walk into a car showroom that the sales person hasn't evaluated you already (maybe not accurately at all but it focusses their opening gambit for certain).

Let us not be naive here. People don't like it but they are living in an economy based on it even if only in part.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1424104
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse