Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSIS Wizard vs Manual Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:18 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:22 PM
I am new to SSIS , new to the forum too .
I have been reading books and reading online for the past few days and created a few SSIS packages (Sql Server 2008).
I generally use the Wizard to create SSIS packages , I also know that there is another manual way of
creating the packages without the wizard, which is not as easy.

I wanted to know in terms of best practices, if one way is preferred over the other.
Post #1422621
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 2:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:15 AM
sameerarjuna (2/21/2013)
I am new to SSIS , new to the forum too .
I have been reading books and reading online for the past few days and created a few SSIS packages (Sql Server 2008).
I generally use the Wizard to create SSIS packages , I also know that there is another manual way of
creating the packages without the wizard, which is not as easy.

I wanted to know in terms of best practices, if one way is preferred over the other.

The wizard will create a package to copy data from one place to another - and that's about it. If you want more sophistication - updates, or calculated columns, for example - you'll need to use BIDS. I very rarely use the wizard these days, because the stuff I am developing is too complex for it.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Post #1422917
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse