Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Merge Replication: Event ID 14151 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:58 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:56 AM
Hey All, I'm in the process of setting up Merge Replication on two test databases before I roll it out to our production environment.

The databases are on separate servers within a private LAN. Once I set the merge replication up there is no error given, so the assumption is that it has been set up correctly. However, the subscriber is not receiving any updates from the publisher database. Why?

I have tried troubleshooting this issue by performing;

A telnet to the other SQL port
Ensuring firewall setting have been disabled for this connection
I'm using the correct account details
That the account has been granted access to the subscriber database

The only information I can find that this process is not working is through Windows Event Viewer, I am getting the following error message;

Replication-Replication Merge Subsystem: agent NAGA-AdventureWorks2012-NagaAdevntureWorks-COBAN-6 failed. The process could not connect to Subscriber 'COBAN'.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks! RJ

--------------------------------------------

Laughing in the face of contention...
Post #1419063
Posted Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:12 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:45 AM
The merge agent cannot connect to the subscriber.
Either
1. any user cannot connect from the publisher to the subscriber due to network or firewall issues
2. The user you set up as the merge agent user cannot connect to the subscriber instance or does not have sufficient rights in the subscriber database (db_owner role).
Post #1419077
Posted Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:17 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Thanks for your response.

However, I am using the same account that the servers run under for the merge agent. I have tried creating a new user for the merge replication process but this doesn't seem to work either.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks/

Post #1419602
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:20 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:27 PM
This is a permissions issue.

If it is a Merge push subscription, ensure the Merge Agent process account is db_owner in the distribution database, a member of the PAL, a login associated with a user in the publication database, and has read permissions on the snapshot share.

If it is a Merge pull subscription, ensure the Merge Agent process account is db_owner in the subscription database and that the account used to connect to the Publisher and Distributor is a member of the PAL, a login associated with a user in the publication database, a login associated with a user in the distribution database, and has read permissions on the snapshot share.

All of this is covered in Replication Agent Security Model.

If you are still have problems after this, increase the -HistoryVerboseLevel to get additional details and/or enable verbose agent logging.
Post #1422702
Posted Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:23 AM
SSC Journeyman

Hi there - Thanks for the response.

I found that this was related to my snapshot path not being unc formatted. All sorted now.

Thanks.

Post #1422706
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse