Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

REG: Monitering Tools Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:20 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 7:46 AM
Hi Friends,
Which is the best monitoring tool for monitoring the Sql Server 2008 R2

If possible can any one send the links of those monitoring tools for analyzing

Thank You
Post #1410892
Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:01 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
there are couple of good tools provided by redgate http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/ (Disclaimer: i am not paid by redgate for this ).

i have used spotlight too , and found is quite handy

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1410904
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:34 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks for your reply. Any one having working experience in solar winds (monitering tool)
Post #1410936
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:47 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:20 AM
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1410348-391-1.aspx

While Solarwinds now does application monitoring, it will be up to you to investigate if it does what you need it to do.

I would seriously recommend, getting trial editions of software, like SQL Monitor from Red-Gate, Spotlight or Foglight from Quest (now Dell), SQL Sentry, Solarwinds, sure there are many more, cant rattle them off the top of my head. Install them, configure them and evaluate which one meets your needs and your companies needs.

As detailed on your original post, when I did the above task, Solarwinds wasn't mature enough as a product for application monitoring, while the website sure does speek the lingo that it now is, I would still need to re-evaluate it, and I would still probably dismiss it as I am sure dedicated companies like Red-Gate and Quest who have many years expereince with RDBMS monitoring software have already thought of it and done it in a previous version.

But with the current economic situation, I guess you are limited on cost, so you will need to also factor that into your evalutations.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1410982
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

What about SCOM
Post #1411069
Posted Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:09 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:20 AM
Ruled that out as well, the management pack at the time didnt do everything we needed.

Again get a copy install it, configure it, evaluate it, if it does what you want great, if not leave it behind.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1411070
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse