Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Maintenance Plan for Daily backup for a specific Database Not working as expected Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, February 01, 2014 5:00 PM
Hi All,
i have created a Maintenance Plan for daily FULL Backup of 2 databases in a SQL Instance. The Job is taking backup file successfully but not cleaning up the old files. So my Disk is getting filled up with old backup files.

I have included 'Maintenance Cleanup task' in the Plan and the retention period to 2 days. Meaning we do not need any backup files prior to 2 days. Not sure why this is not able to clear the old backup copies.

The intresting thing is, I created a similar Plan on various SQL Instances and but selected default all databases option in the 'Backup Database task'. And it works like a charm.

Can you please suggest what is missing here. and please let me know if you need any information to figure out the bottle neck.
Post #1409449
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 3:07 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:57 AM
Have you specified a file extension in your Maintenance Cleanup Task?

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1409452
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 3:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Yes I did. '.BAK'. Is it case sensitive? should I mention '.bak' instead?
Post #1409454
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 3:17 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Remove the dot. So instead of .bak just put bak

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1409455
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 3:23 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

actually there was no dot... its just 'BAK' I should not have typed dot while i was replying to you.
Post #1409457
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 3:26 AM

Say Hey Kid

Okay, can I suggest you run process monitor to see what the clean up task is actually doing?

Howard Zinn
Post #1409459
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 5:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:37 AM
what is happening? are you seeing files older than 4 days still there?

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1409493
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse