Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

DTS Package Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:22 PM
TestServer: SQL Server 2000
ProdServer: SQL Server 2000

Client on my machine: Sql Server Management Studio 2008.

Goal: Move DTS Package from Test to Prod.

Here's what I did per Step 5 of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

1) From the SSMS2008 client, in Object Explorer, Expand Servername (in TESTServer), Expand Management, Expand Legacy, Expand Data Transformation Services, Right Click on the package, Open ... , Select the DTS Package version. And it opens up in DTS 2000 Package Designer.

2) From DTS 2000 Package Designer, I click on Package, Save As ... , Save DTS Package,
Server: PRODSERVER,
Package name: xyz

Click OK.

It gives me an error "DTS Package ‘xyz‘ already exists with a different ID in this category."

Question 1: How do I add to the same name but different version just like in TESTSERVER?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moving forward, I right click the DTS package in PRODSERVER, Rename the package to XYZ_OLD

Tried steps 1 and 2 above again, and it got moved over.

However, when the user tried to execute package, she says it gives her an error.

Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error Description: The specified DTS Package (‘Name = ‘xyz'; ID. VersioID = { does not exits}

Question 2: How do I fix this error?

Question 3: How exactly is one suppose to move from TEST to PROD?

Thanks!

Post #1409124
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 12:12 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
However, when the user tried to execute package, she says it gives her an error.

How is this person trying to execute the package? Have you tried right-clicking on the package in the MSDB directory on the production server?

Post #1409670
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:57 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

My mistake ... checked with her this morning and she was just trying to open the package from Sql Server Enterprise Manager 2000 when she got the error message.

Edit: Do you think I need to get SQL Server Enterprise Manager 2000 rather than running SSMS2008?
Post #1410085
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:03 AM
Valued Member

For future reference to anyone experiencing this issue:

I just installed SQL Server 2000 Client Tools - Enterprise Manager and moved the package. That resolved all the issues. My guess is MSSQL2000 EM has the meta data portion whilst MSSQL2008 SSMS doesn't.
Post #1413066
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse