Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Reportserver Engine changing non-unicode to unicode Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:01 AM

I am experiencing this exact issue as mentioned here [url=http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_pfe_blog/archive/2009/06/17/possible-performance-implications-when-using-string-parameters-in-reporting-services.aspx][/url]. I do have a work around. I was wondering is there a setting on the report server or some type of setting on the report server so that we can avoid this conversion?
Post #1409095
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 2:05 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:01 AM
Anyone?
Post #1409709
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 1:45 AM
There is no report server setting to change the parameters in SSRS from Unicode to Non-Unicode.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1409864
Posted Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:47 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:50 PM
sqldba_newbie (1/18/2013)

I am experiencing this exact issue as mentioned here [url=http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_pfe_blog/archive/2009/06/17/possible-performance-implications-when-using-string-parameters-in-reporting-services.aspx][/url]. I do have a work around. I was wondering is there a setting on the report server or some type of setting on the report server so that we can avoid this conversion?

I've always considered the implementation of multi-value parameters in SSRS to be sub-optimal for this very reason. The most effective workaround, in my view, is to use a stored procedure that accepts the comma-delimited string that SSRS creates from the multi-value parameter and calls a string-splitter function like this one:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/

to split the values into a rowset that you can use with an IN condition in the WHERE clause. This way, you can convert the individual parameter values to the same datatype as the column on the other side of the IN, making a SARGable condition that can make use of an appropriate index, if one exists.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1410735
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse