Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

importing data remotly executing. Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:39 AM
This must be possible but never looked into.

At the Moment I have some FTP software that every hour checks a folder location for a file and then copies and imports it into the db etc.

I would like to have say the client software push the data to the location and this is the part I haven't a clue about, the client software tell MSSQL to execute a stored procedure or a vbscript to import the file and do whatever is necessary.

what different ways can this be done, just an area I know next to nothing about.

thanks
Jasemilly
Post #1406676
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 6:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:54 AM
I would say this is a task for SSIS.

Use it to download the files from the FTP server and then if it downloads any execute a for each loop to import it into SQL.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1406682
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 6:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:39 AM
Hi Yes I am thinking SSIS.

What I am thinking though is data collection in the field the user uploading the file to location and then the application telling SQL something in the folder for it too process. I wold like to something a little more efficent than a routine constantly checking a folder to see if something to do.

thanks
Post #1406687
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 6:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:54 AM
That would then call for something to be coded in the app which will FTP up the file to a specific location, then connect to SQL and issue something like a bulk import command.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1406688
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse