Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

T-SQL 2012 #2 Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (1/12/2013)
Nice clear straightforward question.
Good to see a question on this new feature.

Interestingly, there's an error on the BoL page: it says the CHOOSE function
BoL
Returns the data type with the highest precedence from the set of types passed to the function

The first argument is an integer, which has a higher type precedence than any character type, but if it really was going to return an int we would have string to int conversion errors here. BoL should instead say that the return type is highest precedence type of the arguments other than the first.

I read this and changed my mind to integer.
Ah well, another point gone begging.
Post #1406810
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 11:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:55 PM
Koen Verbeeck (1/14/2013)
Great question about a new 2012 feature. Thanks Ron!

(and thanks for including me )

+1

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1406890
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 12:53 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:45 PM
Fun, easy, and educational. Excellent!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1406915
Posted Monday, January 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:57 PM
Thanks for the 2012 question. I'm not sure why I would ever use CHOOSE. I would usually join to a reference table, or use a case statement, or create a temp table if it was a small set of values to type up for an ad-hoc query or one off report. This does seem more geared towards .NET developers. I think if I came across it in production I would have to turn the array into a reference table.
Post #1406990
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:00 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 12:05 PM
KWymore (1/14/2013)
Thanks for the 2012 question. I'm not sure why I would ever use CHOOSE. I would usually join to a reference table, or use a case statement, or create a temp table if it was a small set of values to type up for an ad-hoc query or one off report. This does seem more geared towards .NET developers. I think if I came across it in production I would have to turn the array into a reference table.

If you would sometimesd use a CASE expression for this, why object to CHOOSE? It's just a simplified syntax for CASE in a particular case. Presumably it does index into the list, so it will have better performance than case when it is applicable (because the optimiser surely isn't going to look and see if the set of values for a simple case statement provides an ungapped sequence).

Tom
Post #1407444
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:12 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:21 PM
L' Eomot Inversé (1/15/2013)
KWymore (1/14/2013)

If you would sometimesd use a CASE expression for this, why object to CHOOSE? It's just a simplified syntax for CASE in a particular case. Presumably it does index into the list, so it will have better performance than case when it is applicable (because the optimiser surely isn't going to look and see if the set of values for a simple case statement provides an ungapped sequence).

Hi Tom,

Check my post above (about a page back in this thread) - the optimizer produces an execution plan with a Compute Scalar operator for CHOOSE with a defined value that is identical to that of CASE. It looks like the T-SQL implementation of CHOOSE truly is nothing but an alternative syntax for CASE when writing a conditional expression based on an equality comparison of integer values. SQL Server treats them exactly the same way.

Jason

Jason

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1407451
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 12:51 PM
wolfkillj (1/15/2013)
L' Eomot Inversé (1/15/2013)
KWymore (1/14/2013)

Hi Tom,

Check my post above (about a page back in this thread) - the optimizer produces an execution plan with a Compute Scalar operator for CHOOSE with a defined value that is identical to that of CASE. It looks like the T-SQL implementation of CHOOSE truly is nothing but an alternative syntax for CASE when writing a conditional expression based on an equality comparison of integer values. SQL Server treats them exactly the same way.

Jason

Jason

Sometimes is better to be late to the discussion: learned lot from Tom's comments.

So thanks to both Ron and Tom!
Post #1408067
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:06 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 8:36 AM
Tom, thanks for your comments about Return type.

I don't have 2012 to understand it further.

--
Dineshbabu
Desire to learn new things..
Post #1408174
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:29 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:00 AM
wow... nice question.. really i learned new choose() functionality. i never ever used it.

Manik
You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.
Post #1409874
Posted Friday, February 22, 2013 1:03 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:24 AM
learned something about something I will never use :)
Post #1422900
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse