Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Generate Months from unique records with different date ranges Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:57 AM
Nice Alternative dwain, love the use of cross applys with the tally and inline month generator, as well as the normalisation of the month to always be the first.

Post #1403993
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:22 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
Jason-299789 (1/8/2013)
Nice Alternative dwain, love the use of cross applys with the tally and inline month generator, as well as the normalisation of the month to always be the first.

Thank you sir!

For some reason, I get a lot of pushback around here when I suggest using an actual Calendar table and I'm not sure why. I've even developed a nifty GenerateCalendar FUNCTION (that Jeff Moden took pity on and improved to warp speed) to take its place. Thought that was a bit much to post on this question although the technique is not dissimilar.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1403995
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:44 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 6:57 AM
Id love to see the GenerateCalendar function.

Coming from a DW background the persisted calendar table is second nature, and I'm surprised more traditional OLTP systems dont implement one as part of a standard build as its very low maintenance.

At worst you might have to extend it and put in any regional public holiday's and business specific information (financial periods etc) as part of a once a year maintenance routine.

Post #1404004
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:54 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
Jason-299789 (1/8/2013)
Id love to see the GenerateCalendar function.

Coming from a DW background the persisted calendar table is second nature, and I'm surprised more traditional OLTP systems dont implement one as part of a standard build as its very low maintenance.

At worst you might have to extend it and put in any regional public holiday's and business specific information (financial periods etc) as part of a once a year maintenance routine.

PM'd you with the FUNCTION.

I think most of the push back I get is because of a lack of understanding. I meant, by the way, here at work and not on the forums where Calendar tables are well established.

I like to keep holidays in a separate table that can be joined on the Calendar table when needed. The Calendar table is then like, set it and forget it. Only the holidays table then needs maintenance annually. And can also then be country or state/province specific.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
Post #1404010
Posted Monday, February 11, 2013 5:49 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:31 PM
Thank you Dwain, this works like Magic and I don't have to create a calendar....much appreciated
Post #1418702
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse