Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Dynamic Security for dimensional members? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:18 AM
Ok so here's the problem.

I have a corporate BFC (big fat cube) which some 20 different services access and within that several hundred employees. I want to employ 4 stage security, ie, for each dimension I have 4 roles, 1 = only very general stuff 4 = everything.

The problem is I also only want each user to be able to see stuff within their service. I have a service dimension, which lists employees and service. How can I have it dynamically restrict access to only the service the employee is currently working in?
Post #1403371
Posted Sunday, January 6, 2013 11:54 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:41 PM
Chris Webb did a good article on this for something similar a while back which might help:

http://cwebbbi.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/replacing-cell-security-with-dimension-security/

I'm not sure that a dimension mapping every single user to services will be practical, nor creating all four of your roles for each service but you might have to. It's probably going to be better than creating subcubes for each service.
Post #1403428
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse