Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

dynamic data source based off table Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:41 AM
Hi,

Id like to create a Data source that is dynamic and based on a table. (Ie user opens the report and has a drop down with a list of all the Servers. Clicks on the Server they want and a Second list is populated with a list of the databases on that server then click report an query is ran to populate a table with information)

I believe all i have to do is write the Expression correctly but i cant seem to get it working for the dynamic data source.

I created a static data source that gets the table and lists them out in a parameter.

I then created another data source that will be populated with the parameter from the first.

My Expression is:

="Data Source=" & Parameters!Server.Value & ";Initial Catalog=master"

If i set the dynamic data source to a static one the rest of the report runs.

Is this functionality not possible (Ie having a data source that is not static. ) i found a lot of examples of making dynamic database choice in the connection string but couldn't on the Server side..

Hope someone can help

Post #1398891
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:23 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:41 AM
Resolved it.

Found this on SQLCentral. (didn't pop up in my google searchs ) which is 80% of what i wanted. I redid my report again using this and it worked...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/sqldbauk/2011/07/22/ssrs_3A00_-dynamic-data-sources/

Post #1398920
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse