Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Index Performance. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:32 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:15 AM
abitguru (12/19/2012)
thanks TheSqlGuru for your reply.

We dont use auto update. And is hard to find a "slow/off time" .. you know. We are thinking the best way to schedule to run in spare time.

In our server test takes 14 hours to complete the job. (less resources and almost the same database size)

Saludos...

Do you have Maintenance Jobs on your databases? That may fix the root cause of your problem, which like other already explained, it's because staled stats.

Take a look on this link: SQL Server Index and Statistics Maintenance

That's my favorite smart Index solution. It runs weekly and keep Indexes and statistics up to date. I like Ola's solution because it's "smart" means, if the table does not have enough pages or looks ok, the job will skip it and won't touch it.
Post #1398454
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:20 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:33 PM
GilaMonster (12/19/2012)
abitguru (12/19/2012)
We dont use auto update. And is hard to find a "slow/off time" .. you know. We are thinking the best way to schedule to run in spare time.

If you have auto_update off then you must manually maintain your statistics (all of them). With it on, you can get away with just manually updating stats where the 20% threshold is too high.

I concur.

I also wonder WHY you have disabled auto update stats!?!

I recommend Ola.Hallengren.com for all of your maintenance needs, including index/statistics activities.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1398579
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse