Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

weird memory usage on sql server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:12 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 7:14 PM
thanks - i'll c what I can do with that.

Post #1398182
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:02 AM
Just to reiterate here...

GilaMonster (12/18/2012)
Don't use Task Manager to check SQL's memory. It can be completely wrong.

Use Perfmon with either the SQL Server memory counters and/or the process-specific counters.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1398206
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:56 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

yep used perfmon memory.avialable_memory and process.workingset for all the processes - did not see anything useful from that.
(i.e nothing spike in the working sets when avilable memory reduced dramatically).

I thought I might setup some monitoring with those dmvs bhuvnesh sent through.. gonna try now!

dj

Post #1399143
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 6:32 PM
Valued Member

with the script provided - is there anything in particular to look for . I ran the script during high memory usage and low memory usage and I don't see anything of any particular concern (I don't profess to understand everything the script is doing though).

I thought perhap sql plans in the memory clerks may have been high (comparing values between high memory times and low memory times) but I appeared to be wrong here.
Post #1403943
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:16 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
djordan 4543 (1/7/2013)
with the script provided - is there anything in particular to look for . I ran the script during high memory usage and low memory usage and I don't see anything of any particular concern (I don't profess to understand everything the script is doing though).
i qam sorry there is no straight forward bread for this. you need to see the result of each query carefully and before result see "the commented line above of every query"
then you need to dig into the issues.

Are you still seeing continous memory usage ( any particular time period or pattern)? have you seen the sql error log ? or even the system log ?

Have you seen the tempdb usage ? do you have dedicated or separate disk for it ?
and any kind of IO high usage ?

see this link for memory http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2012/06/15/troubleshooting-sql-server-memory.aspx

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1403978
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:18 PM
Valued Member

ok - I appreciate you assistance anyway
Post #1403979
Posted Monday, January 7, 2013 11:30 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:26 AM
Another link http://sqlserverplanet.com/troubleshooting/sql-server-slowness

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done
Post #1403980
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse