Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSIS to get external data, Security risk? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:42 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:49 AM
Hi All,

I want to use a SSIS package to grab data from an external suppliers mySQL database.
I have read access to the tables I require. My Question is if a run this package on my production server does it propose a security risk?

Many thanks
Post #1390549
Posted Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, December 14, 2012 6:12 AM
Security risk mostly depends on what your package does. If you can provide more details on what does your package do and why do you think it can be a security risk, we can provide a better feedback.
Post #1395770
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:16 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 5:02 AM
It might. The package will need access to the external database, so ports probably will have to be opened. And you're transfering data over the network, so there might be some risk there.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1396039
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I think it should be fine, i get the data from a MySql database belonging to an external supplier. We have only allowed the connection from their IP so shouldn't be a problem?
Post #1396054
Posted Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:20 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:34 AM
Connection from their IP? I thought you said you were connecting to a remote MySQL server. From a network security perspective only an outgoing connection from the server running your SSIS package to the server running MySQL should be necessary to allow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1396486
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 6:21 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

opc.three (12/13/2012)
Connection from their IP? I thought you said you were connecting to a remote MySQL server. From a network security perspective only an outgoing connection from the server running your SSIS package to the server running MySQL should be necessary to allow.

Apologies, typed that last comment in a rush. You a correct there is only the allowed outgoing connection from our server to their IP through the fire wall.
Post #1396609
Posted Friday, December 14, 2012 8:23 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:34 AM
bugg (12/14/2012)
opc.three (12/13/2012)

Apologies, typed that last comment in a rush. You a correct there is only the allowed outgoing connection from our server to their IP through the fire wall.

Sounds good. I was just making sure you did not open any unnecessary access points into your network for the data pull. Cheers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1396689
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse