Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Recursion with a Twist Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:15 AM
Hi - can't seem to get my head around this one, so any assistance is welcome.

I am trying to write a query against a table of invoices, returning all relevant rows for a particular InvoiceId. Here's some sample data:

--Create temp table to hold the dummy data

if object_id('tempdb..#IDs') is not null
drop table #IDs

create table #IDs (
InvoiceId int not null
,BookingId int not null
) on [PRIMARY]

go

alter table #IDs add constraint PK_IDs primary key clustered (
InvoiceId
,BookingId
)
with (
STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = off
,IGNORE_DUP_KEY = off
,ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = on
,ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = on
) on [PRIMARY]
go

insert #IDs ( InvoiceId, BookingId)
select * from (values (1,9), (1,10), (1,11), (2,11), (3,11), (3,12), (3,13), (4,14), (5,14)) data(InvoiceId,BookingId)

select * from #IDs

Now, imagine that we're interested in returning data for InvoiceId 1.

What I would like to return is this:

SELECT *
FROM (
VALUES
(1,9),
(1,10),
(1,11),
(2,11),
(3,11),
(3,12),
(3,13)) x
([InvoiceId],[BookingId])

The 'twist' should now be obvious: InvoiceId 1 has BookingIds which relate to other invoices, which in turn may have BookingIds which relate to other invoices. I want to return all related rows.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Post #1390030
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:21 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 5:16 AM
If there is a row (3,14) would all your sample data then be returned because of (4,14) and (5,14)? from your description i think that is correct. just trying to wrap my head around it.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2

Jeremy Oursler
Post #1390091
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:24 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:15 AM
Correct.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)
Post #1390094
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:11 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:58 PM
This is a bit tricky and I am still working on this. Here's what I have thusfar...

drop table #IDs

CREATE TABLE #IDs
(
InvoiceId int not null,
BookingId int not null,
primary key clustered (InvoiceId, BookingId)
);

INSERT #IDs VALUES (1,9), (1,10), (1,11), (2,11), (3,11), (3,12), (3,13), (4,14), (5,14)
GO

DECLARE @val int = 1;

WITH x AS
(
SELECT i.InvoiceId, i.BookingId
from
(
SELECT InvoiceId, BookingId
from #IDs
WHERE InvoiceId = @val
) a
JOIN #IDs i ON a.BookingId = i.BookingId
)
SELECT DISTINCT i.*
FROM x
RIGHT JOIN #IDs i ON x.InvoiceId = i.InvoiceId
WHERE x.InvoiceId IS NOT NULL

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001

My blog
Post #1390130
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:15 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 5:16 AM
What i came up with was to turn it into an adjacency list hierarchy and then we can recourse through that. of course i could be completly off base here but here is the code to turn it into the adjacency list

CREATE TABLE #IDsParents (
InvoiceId int not null
,BookingId int not null
,ParentInvoiceID INT
)

insert #IDsParents ( InvoiceId, BookingId)
select * from (values (1,9), (1,10), (1,11), (2,11), (3,11), (3,12), (3,13), (4,14), (5,14)) data(InvoiceId,BookingId)

;WITH Parent AS(
SELECT a.InvoiceId, b.InvoiceId AS Parent
FROM #IDsParents a
LEFT JOIN #IDsParents b
ON a.BookingId = b.BookingId
AND a.InvoiceId > b.InvoiceId
WHERE b.InvoiceId IS NOT NULL
)

UPDATE b SET ParentInvoiceID = a.Parent
FROM Parent a
RIGHT JOIN #IDsParents b
ON a.InvoiceId = b.InvoiceId

SELECT * FROM #IDsParents

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2

Jeremy Oursler
Post #1390132
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:27 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:26 PM
capnhector (11/28/2012)
What i came up with was to turn it into an adjacency list hierarchy and then we can recourse through that. of course i could be completly off base here but here is the code to turn it into the adjacency list
[/code]

The only problem I have with that solution method is that you can't traverse in both directions. IE: Pulling Invoice 3 won't get you back to 1 (or vice versa) depending on the parenting.

The biggest problem with this recursion is that it's self-joining. For those curious:
--am trying to write a query against a table of invoices, returning all relevant rows for a particular InvoiceId. Heres some sample data:

drop table #IDs

create table #IDs (
InvoiceId int not null
,BookingId int not null
) on [PRIMARY]

go

InvoiceId
,BookingId
)
with (
,IGNORE_DUP_KEY = off
,ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = on
,ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = on
) on [PRIMARY]
go

select * from #IDs

DECLARE @InvoiceID INT

SET @InvoiceID = 1

;WITH rCTE AS
(SELECT
InvoiceID,
BookingID,
1 AS HierarchyLevel
FROM
#IDs
WHERE
InvoiceID = @InvoiceID
UNION ALL
SELECT
#IDs.InvoiceID,
ids2.BookingID,
rCTE.HierarchyLevel + 1 AS HierarchyLevel
FROM
rCTE
JOIN
#IDs
ON #IDs.BookingID = rCTE.BookingID
JOIN
#IDs AS ids2
ON #IDs.InvoiceID = ids2.InvoiceID
WHERE
rCTE.HierarchyLevel + 1
)

SELECT * FROM rCTE

I'm trying to work out a way to exclude previously included invoices from the detection list but you can't double-reference the CTE in the recursion, so NOT IN (SELECT) clauses and the like are out. I'm actually thinking this may need to be looped as a baseline and then worked on from there.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1390135
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:35 PM

SSCertifiable

This is NOT pretty, but it IS functional.

--am trying to write a query against a table of invoices, returning all relevant rows for a particular InvoiceId. Heres some sample data:

drop table #IDs

if object_id('tempdb..#TempStore') is not null
drop table #TempStore

create table #IDs (
InvoiceId int not null
,BookingId int not null
) on [PRIMARY]

go

InvoiceId
,BookingId
)
with (
,IGNORE_DUP_KEY = off
,ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = on
,ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = on
) on [PRIMARY]
go

select * from #IDs

DECLARE @InvoiceID INT,
@Rowcount INT

SELECT @InvoiceID = 1,
@Rowcount = 1

CREATE TABLE #TempStore
(InvoiceID INT, BookingID INT)

INSERT INTO #TempStore
SELECT
InvoiceID, BookingID
FROM
#IDs
WHERE
InvoiceID = @InvoiceID

-- Set this here, might as well not hit the loop if no records to work from.
SELECT @Rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT

WHILE @Rowcount <> 0
BEGIN
INSERT INTO #TempStore
SELECT
ids2.InvoiceID, ids2.BookingID
FROM
#IDs
JOIN
(SELECT DISTINCT BookingID FROM #TempStore) AS drv
ON #IDs.BookingID = drv.BookingID
JOIN
#IDs AS ids2
ON #IDs.InvoiceID = ids2.InvoiceID
WHERE
#IDs.InvoiceID NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT InvoiceID FROM #TempStore)

SET @Rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT
END

SELECT * FROM #TempStore

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

Post #1390138
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:00 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Evil Kraig F (11/28/2012)

I am trying to understand why went with a loop vs a set-based approach. I posted a more set based method earlier that gets the same results notably faster. I am not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand your approach or what I did wrong.

-- Alan Burstein

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001

My blog
Post #1390155
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:06 PM

SSCertifiable

Alan.B (11/28/2012)

I am trying to understand why went with a loop vs a set-based approach. I posted a more set based method earlier that gets the same results notably faster. I am not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand your approach or what I did wrong.

Whoops, my apologies Alan. I didn't realize you were code complete. This comment:
Alan.B (11/28/2012)
This is a bit tricky and I am still working on this. Here's what I have thusfar...

Misled me to believe you were still working on your solution and I breezed over it before going back to trying to force the rCTE to work.

However, you will miss recursive chains. For example, I've adjusted the inclusion set here:
INSERT #IDs VALUES (1,9), (1,10), (1,11), (2,11), (2,12), (3,12), (3,13), (4,14), (5,14)
GO

You'll notice that your code will no longer pick up Invoice 3 because You need to go from 1->2 via Booking 11, then 2->3 via Booking 12.

- Craig Farrell

Post #1390159
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:20 PM

SSChasing Mays

Alan.B (11/28/2012)

Whoops, my apologies Alan. I didn't realize you were code complete. This comment:
Alan.B (11/28/2012)

Misled me to believe you were still working on your solution and I breezed over it before going back to trying to force the rCTE to work.

However, you will miss recursive chains. For example, I've adjusted the inclusion set here:
INSERT #IDs VALUES (1,9), (1,10), (1,11), (2,11), (2,12), (3,12), (3,13), (4,14), (5,14)
GO

You'll notice that your code will no longer pick up Invoice 3 because You need to go from 1->2 via Booking 11, then 2->3 via Booking 12.

Ahhhh.... Now I see what I was doing wrong; I knew I was missing something.

Thanks & nice work.

-- Alan Burstein

My blog
Post #1390166
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse