Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Rebuilding System Databases Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:38 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 4:37 AM
Hi Guys

Situation: SQL 2008 Master DB is corrupt, instance won't start and I have backups of the master database

I'm referencing the following article:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Rebuilding+system+databases/87156/

It seems that when your Master database is corrupt, the rebuild process recreates all your system databases, is this necessary if just your Master is broken?

Is there another way to get around this situation?

Thanks
Post #1389519
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:09 PM
Yes, it is necessary. Rebuild the system databases, start SQL, restore the backups of the system DBs.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1389548
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:51 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

GilaMonster (11/28/2012)
Yes, it is necessary. Rebuild the system databases, start SQL, restore the backups of the system DBs.

Could this possibly work:

>> Restore the Master database to another SQL Instance
>> Replace with mdf and ldf of the corrupted master with a copy of the restored master files
Post #1389551
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:09 PM
I would not recommend restoring master to other servers. Not least because you overwrite that server's master DB which you then have to go and restore from its backups later.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1389559
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:32 AM
Ten Centuries

GilaMonster (11/28/2012)
I would not recommend restoring master to other servers. Not least because you overwrite that server's master DB which you then have to go and restore from its backups later.

And restoring it as a different database?
Post #1389563
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:37 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:47 AM
SQLSACT (11/28/2012)
GilaMonster (11/28/2012)

>> Replace with mdf and ldf of the corrupted master with a copy of the restored master files

I have previously restored the master as a user database and detached it, renamed the disk files back and then plugged them into the corrupted instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1389591
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:41 AM
Ten Centuries

Perry Whittle (11/28/2012)
SQLSACT (11/28/2012)
GilaMonster (11/28/2012)

I have previously restored the master as a user database and detached it, renamed the disk files back and then plugged them into the corrupted instance

Is it just me or does this seem like a much simpler approach?

Are there any downsides to this method?
Post #1389593
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:11 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:47 AM
For the instance to start it needs to have a master db present, i use the tact above and then make sure to restore a full system backup set once the instance is accessible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1389628
Posted Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:58 AM
SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:01 PM
it won't help this time I know, but I always keep flat files copies of the system databases (I take a copy at each upgrade), then these can just be slid into place in the event of a corruption.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1389746
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse