Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Cost of Storage Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 12:38 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:54 AM
GSquared (11/16/2012)
david.ashby (11/16/2012)
Cost for cheap SAN storage where I work is £3,000 per TB ($4,500 USD) and £10,000 per TB ($16,000 USD) for the 5 year TCO. As you can imagine every request is heavily scrutinised, tape backups have to be justified etc.

If we had SSD's it would be £50,000 per TB. This is in a EMC SAN array. All production disks are mirrored locally and remotely to the other data centre. So if you ask for 1TB in production storage needs to supply 4TB. So the price jumps to £40,000 per TB.

How many time have I heard but I can go to the local PC shop and buy a TB for £100.

(emphasis added) Only from people who are really intent on displaying their ignorance.

I agree, but numbers that David quotes are at least 10 times higher than what I hear from our ops.
Post #1385833
Posted Friday, November 16, 2012 1:33 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:37 AM
There was a case in the news a while back where a doctor was charged with misuse of prescriptions. However since he had fled the country and was not expected back, the prosecutor actually dropped charges so that the large amount of storage in his case could be deleted because it was becoming to expensive to keep it. I found that a bit astonishing.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1385847
Posted Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:03 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:32 AM
Revenant (11/16/2012)

I agree, but numbers that David quotes are at least 10 times higher than what I hear from our ops.

Our ops guys flex the quote depending on the IO/throughput/access profile.

Storage volume is cheap, storage performance/concurrency isn't.
I'm waiting to see what happens to those people with 4TB drives in their Hadoop clusters once they start getting a few people battering them via HIVE or comparable technology.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1386062
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse