Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSIS 2005 --> SSIS 2012 (ActiveX Script gone?) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:58 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:43 AM
Hello everybody,

I need someone to point me in the right direction:

We are in the process of converting SSIS packages from 2005 to 2012. Some of them have ActiveX scripts in them and when converting them over they fail. (I have no experience with SSIS yet).

I see there is a Script Task in SSIS 2012 and I am thinking I have to rewrite the script in .NET? Is this the only option?

My question is what options (I am sure there is more than the above mentioned one) I have to upgrade ActiveX Scripts? Time is realy tight too.

Thank you!
Post #1384064
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:47 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
You'll need to rewrite the functionality. Exploring .NET Script Tasks is a good place to start.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1384380
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:42 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:35 AM
ActiveX was present in SSIS 2005 and 2008 to support legacy DTS. You could convert DTS into SSIS and the ActiveX would still be there. However, DTS is removed in SQL Server 2012 and thus ActiveX as well.

The idea is that logic should now be incorperated in the Script Tasks, as opc.three mentioned.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1384399
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:12 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Thank you for confirming this.

Do you know if there is a way to get a list of all packages which have an ActiveX Script Task?
I have hundreeds of packages I need to move, some of them with ActiveX -- I it would be easier to identify them first and prioritize them.

Thanks!
Post #1384656
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:58 AM
Valued Member

Indeed there is:

SELECT [name] AS SSISPackageName
, CONVERT(XML, CONVERT(VARBINARY(MAX), packagedata)) AS SSISPackageXML
FROM msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages90
where CONVERT(VARCHAR(MAX), CONVERT(VARBINARY(MAX), packagedata)) LIKE '%ActiveX%' --'%sub main()%'

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+(SSIS)/70011/
Post #1384796
Posted Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:09 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 24, 2014 3:59 PM
...or run the SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Analyser against your SSIS packages
Post #1491135
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse