Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Is It Necessary to Update Statistics? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:45 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:41 PM
My 2008 R2 database has Auto Create Statistics and Auto Update Statistics both set to TRUE.

Is it necessary to also perform UPDATE STATISTICS on every table in my Maint Plan?

Thanks, Bill
Post #1382244
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:08 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:27 AM
Usually, SQL takes care of the UPDATE Statistics automatically.
However, there may be situations where this does not occur, e.g. when the number of UPDATEd / INSERTed / DELETEd rows does not reach or exceed the specified threshold (default 20%, changable from SQL2008R2 SP1 using trace flag 2371) for auto-updates (especially on large tables)

Post #1382287
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 12:14 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 11:27 AM
for ease of reference:
http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2012-Enterprise/Microsoft-IT/Microsoft-Ensures-Smooth-Operation-of-ERP-System-and-Cuts-Disaster-Recovery-Time/710000000493
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/saponsqlserver/archive/2011/09/07/changes-to-automatic-update-statistics-in-sql-server-traceflag-2371.aspx

Post #1382288
Posted Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:39 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:41 PM
Stewart. thanks for your ideas and for the post about SS 2012 and its' new features for updating stats.

My instance is 2008 so I'll probably leave the UPDATE STATISTICS in my maint. plan, just to be sure they are nice and tidy.

Bill in the USA
Post #1382803
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse