Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ATTACHING SQL SERVER_2000 DATABASE TO SQLSERVER 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 5, 2012 4:51 AM
I TRIED TO ATTACH A DATABASE CREATED IN SQLSERVER_2000 INTO SQLSERVER_2008. BUT THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE APPEARED.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Msg 5120, Level 16, State 101, Line 1
Unable to open the physical file "F:\Projects\Data\Geekay\PMS0001_Data.MDF". Operating system error 5: "5(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)".
----------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE HELP ME.

REGARDS,

PRASANTH
Post #1380993
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 5:01 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:54 AM
OS Error 5 is access denied, ensure that the account running SQL has the nessesary permission to the directory

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1380996
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 5:23 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:02 PM
i see that error in other posts a lot because people place the mdf in their MyDocuments folder or on their desktop, which all have restricted access, and the service account doesn't have access to places like C:\Users\SpecificUser\Desktop for example.

move the file to a non-private directory, like c:\Data or something first, and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1381015
Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:08 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 10:40 AM
I have seen this kind of behavior when i detach as someone and try to attach as someone else, also permission would be to a machine\user and machine name could be wrong.

wherever the mdf/ldf is located, go to the properties of the file, edit permissions and either inherit permission from parent or add yourself or the user who is trying to attach.
Post #1381774
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse