Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Convert Existing Stored Procedure To CLR Stored Procedure Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:08 AM
azinyama (11/5/2012)
Another question though...

What would I then do about preventing people from using Windows Authentication to log in???

just because you have a windows login, does not auto-magically mean the login is sysadmin, and has access to everything.

Its very common in a dev environment that everyone has access to everything, and that loose coding practice can be tempting to pass on to production.
I think that's a key component to being a competent DBA: understanding security and how to limit access to just what is REALLY needed.

So your objective really is two fold: make sure normal users are never granted excessive permissions, and to create a Role that contains just the needed permissions for the application(?) to use.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1381202
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 11:05 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:02 AM
Jason-299789 (11/5/2012)
Eugene Elutin (11/5/2012)
There is another powerful feature which will make even viewing a stored procedure code a big hassle, it's called ENCRYPTION:
Read about option ENCRYPTION in here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187926.aspx

The problem is that the encryption is easily reversed if you're determined enough, it might stop a casual person but anyone with any tenacity or google will be able to bybass that quickly once they have a script.

This is one thread on MSDN about it though it appears that you need to have Admin rights.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/transactsql/thread/e7056ca8-94cd-4d36-a676-04c64bf96330

Lowel is correct you're better using Permissions to prevent this from happening and if it does happen using an Database trigger and Audit to trace changes so you know who to point the finger at and prove that someone has done something they shouldnt.

Encryption it's not easily reversed...
Even if you look posted link, you can see that it will require some work. Plus, yes you will need to have Admin rights in order to use Dedicated Admin Connection.
So, Encryption adds even more security over permissions.
And BTW, if I have enough rights, you will never find out what I've done, as I will be able to clean any logs...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1381214
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 11:45 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 3:37 AM
Here is how I understand it, maybe the OP will find it useful.

Think of SQL server as a shopping mall, the databases are individual shops, and the main car park is windows.

To get into the car park (windows) I need a car park pass.

To get into the shopping mall (SQL Server) I will also need another pass.

Finally, to get into a shop (database), I need a third pass.

Of course in real life a shopping centres don't quite work like this but you get the idea... Lol

---------------------------------------------------------

It takes a minimal capacity for rational thought to see that the corporate 'free press' is a structurally irrational and biased, and extremely violent, system of elite propaganda.
David Edwards - Media lens

Society has varying and conflicting interests; what is called objectivity is the disguise of one of these interests - that of neutrality. But neutrality is a fiction in an unneutral world. There are victims, there are executioners, and there are bystanders... and the 'objectivity' of the bystander calls for inaction while other heads fall.
Howard Zinn
Post #1381225
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse