Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 
        
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On


Add to briefcase ««12

CheckDB errors after upgrade from 2k8 sp3 to 2012 Expand / Collapse
Author
Message
Posted Monday, November 5, 2012 11:50 PM


SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 AM
Points: 6,760, Visits: 14,410
What disk type are you using, what does Windows think the type is?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1381396
Posted Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:35 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:46 PM
Points: 316, Visits: 1,498
Gpt partitioned lun on ibm ds4200 san. Windows sees it as such. the vol was created on a win 2k3 clus, detached, moved, re-attached on w2k8 then again on w2k8r2. a couple months ago the lun was extended from 2t to 3.4 tb. It does seem that the most recent attachment caused the corruption.
Post #1381778
Posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:19 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:46 PM
Points: 316, Visits: 1,498
status update: worked through ms support, verified that win wouldn't have caused this corruption as the detach/attach of the lun wouldn't have caused the partition data to be touched at all.

also found a known bios bug that affected these machines and would cause this corruption. we had already patched our bios to a version that included the fix, so it seems there was a regression. still working with hw vendor...

I fixed the corruption by cheating. I used a hex editor to overwrite the corrupt 20k from a staging copy of the db. The affected pages hadn't changed, and a checkdb afterwards came up clear, so I feel pretty good about the fix. it it hadn't worked, restoring full plus diff would have been the next step. Not the recommend approach, but effective.
Post #1389495
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse