Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

70-462: Can the Hyper-V environment be downloaded somewhere? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 7:44 AM
Works great, many thanks again.

Post #1454379
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:35 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:37 AM
Glenn Berry had a great series on hardware last month, when/if I ever get some money I'm goin to follow his advice and build myself a new toy.

Turns out the article I was thinking of was older... it's here.

Post #1455005
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:14 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:51 AM
Questions for those of you building out the lab described in the 70-462 book:

Do you have several physical servers that you're building this on, or are you all invested in high-end workstations that ran run multiple VMs?

My situation: My current home computer (4-5 years old or so) has Windows 7 64-bit with the maximum 4GB RAM the motherboard will accomodate. I had been running a VM of Server 2008 (32-bit - my processor doesn't support 64-bit virtualization) with an instance of SQL Server interacting with an instance of SQL Server Developer Edition on my Host Windows 7 OS. The VM is set to 2GB of RAM as I felt it would be too slow with anything less. Well between the VM, Outlook, SSMS and anything else I was running, my computer occasionally ran out of RAM, started paging and everything slowed to a crawl.

My solution was to set up a VM on my wife's computer (6GB of RAM) running Server 2008 R2 and use a SQL instance running there. But she complains I make her computer run slow, even though the VM is set to 2GB, and I'm still limited to 2 SQL instances at one time.

I'm considering investing $1,000 or so in a new i7 12GB monster workstation, which I figure could run multiple Server 2008 R2 VMs simultaniously. This would also free up my present computer to be rebuilt as a physical 2008 R2 server for another instance.

Is this what I need to do? Or can I run my VMs with less RAM?

On a related note, does a 2008 Server Core installation run better with less RAM than the regular version due a lack of the Windows GUI and other features? I haven't done this install yet. Is it worth the time then? Can it be managed via RDP or do you need to be at the phuysical (or VM) console?
Post #1457477
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:09 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:57 AM
4GB is not a lot of RAM, especially since Windows has to have a piece of it as well.
You know give a VM 1GB of RAM and it will still run somewhat acceptably. You're not doing high performance TSQL development, but rather some basic administration stuff.
Most of the time you only need to run 2 servers at the same time, so it's possible to over allocate your RAM.

I don't really have an idea of the RAM usage of Windows Core, but I can imagine it uses less because it is a stripped down version of the OS.
Not sure you can RDP into it. You basically have a cmd module and a powershell module. To manage SQL Server however you can just connect with SSMS from another computer, so there's no difference there.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1457511
Posted Monday, July 7, 2014 2:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:42 AM
Hey

Would appreciate some advice please.

As per the original post, I would like to set up the training environment for the 70-462 training kit book I just purchased so I can do the exercises etc.

My system:
Dell Latitude E6530
Processor is i7
[/url]
4GB of RAM (I have ordered another 4GB yesterday)
500GB HDD

Virtualisation Hardware requirements (from book):
"x64-based processor that includes both hardware-assisted virtualization (AMD-V or
Intel VT) and hardware data execution protection. (On AMD systems, the data execution
protection feature is called the No Execute or NX bit. On Intel systems, this feature
is called the Execute Disable or XD bit.) These features must also be enabled in the
BIOS. (Note: You can run Windows Virtual PC without Intel-VT or AMD-V.)"

My processor seems to have these attributes (see link above)

I would prefer as most people would to not go with the 6 physical computers option and opt for virtuals but I'm running into problems. Seems as though because I'm running Win7 then I can't use Hyper-V.

The book recommends that I use Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. Hmmm. Sorry I don't have that. I could get a 180 day trial of it of course, but what then? Do I just format my laptop, install the 180 day trial server OS, have 180 days with the server environment then it's all over?

Some guidance here would be highly valued.

I got excited when I found this blog[url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/MCSA+70-462/103881/]
. But was disappointed when I discovered the host machine is assumed to be Windows 8

When I installed the RSAT as per [url=http://blogs.technet.com/b/schadinio/archive/2010/07/09/installing-hyper-v-manager-on-windows-7.aspx][/url] I get as far as the virtual switch section in the above walk-through then brick wall. There is no such setting in the Windows 7 Hyper-V manager.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I am not in my field of expertise.

Helpful advice welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you
kind regards
Paul
Post #1590102
Posted Monday, July 7, 2014 3:03 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:57 AM
If you can't use HyperV, then VirtualBox is a good alternative.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1590121
Posted Monday, July 7, 2014 4:02 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:51 AM
If 8GB is the maximum your laptop can run, then I would create one VM and using Virtual Box or VMPlayer create a stand-alone Widnows Server 2008 VM and assign it 4GB of RAM. The Evaluation Edition will work for 180 days and when you get toward the end there is a command that will extend it out for another period of time. You can find more information in the Microsoft site. After that I'm afraid you will have to start over, but if you backup your databases and anything else critical off of the VM first, you can make a new VM and practice your disaster recovery strategy.

For the failover clusters and perhaps other high availability exercises, you'll need at least three servers. I would create a domain controller and give it 1GB since the authentication duties will be light in your practice environment. Create two member servers with 2GB each. Not a lighting fast setup but you can get mirroring, AlwaysOn and cluster failovers to work.

I am assuming this is the only computer in the house. If there is another, even an older one with only 4GB of RAM you can run a VM there and access it through your home network.

Post #1590140
Posted Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:22 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:42 AM
Hey

many thanks for the help people. I will likely post again with another question or let you know what I've done.

kind regards
Paul
Post #1590483
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse