Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

70-462: Can the Hyper-V environment be downloaded somewhere? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:12 AM
Works great, many thanks again.

Post #1454379
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:35 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 7:15 AM
Glenn Berry had a great series on hardware last month, when/if I ever get some money I'm goin to follow his advice and build myself a new toy.

Turns out the article I was thinking of was older... it's here.

Post #1455005
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:14 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 2:33 PM
Questions for those of you building out the lab described in the 70-462 book:

Do you have several physical servers that you're building this on, or are you all invested in high-end workstations that ran run multiple VMs?

My situation: My current home computer (4-5 years old or so) has Windows 7 64-bit with the maximum 4GB RAM the motherboard will accomodate. I had been running a VM of Server 2008 (32-bit - my processor doesn't support 64-bit virtualization) with an instance of SQL Server interacting with an instance of SQL Server Developer Edition on my Host Windows 7 OS. The VM is set to 2GB of RAM as I felt it would be too slow with anything less. Well between the VM, Outlook, SSMS and anything else I was running, my computer occasionally ran out of RAM, started paging and everything slowed to a crawl.

My solution was to set up a VM on my wife's computer (6GB of RAM) running Server 2008 R2 and use a SQL instance running there. But she complains I make her computer run slow, even though the VM is set to 2GB, and I'm still limited to 2 SQL instances at one time.

I'm considering investing $1,000 or so in a new i7 12GB monster workstation, which I figure could run multiple Server 2008 R2 VMs simultaniously. This would also free up my present computer to be rebuilt as a physical 2008 R2 server for another instance.

Is this what I need to do? Or can I run my VMs with less RAM?

On a related note, does a 2008 Server Core installation run better with less RAM than the regular version due a lack of the Windows GUI and other features? I haven't done this install yet. Is it worth the time then? Can it be managed via RDP or do you need to be at the phuysical (or VM) console?
Post #1457477
Posted Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:09 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:27 PM
4GB is not a lot of RAM, especially since Windows has to have a piece of it as well.
You know give a VM 1GB of RAM and it will still run somewhat acceptably. You're not doing high performance TSQL development, but rather some basic administration stuff.
Most of the time you only need to run 2 servers at the same time, so it's possible to over allocate your RAM.

I don't really have an idea of the RAM usage of Windows Core, but I can imagine it uses less because it is a stripped down version of the OS.
Not sure you can RDP into it. You basically have a cmd module and a powershell module. To manage SQL Server however you can just connect with SSMS from another computer, so there's no difference there.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1457511
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse