Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

To insert varchar records in datetime field Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:37 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:57 AM
Hi,

I have table "Trial1"

One of the columns is
DATERECEIVED DATETIME NULL

Loading data from Excel to staging table using ssis 2005.

Datareceived column contains data as below

17/12/2010
18/12/2011
DECLINED
NULL

I need to load the data as it is. But thing is that, datatype is datetime..

We can modify the column as varchar...

But i need to know whether is it possible to load the data whatever present in the excel?

Regards
SqlStud

Post #1370711
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:15 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:44 PM
sqlstud (10/10/2012)
Hi,

I have table "Trial1"

One of the columns is
DATERECEIVED DATETIME NULL

Loading data from Excel to staging table using ssis 2005.

Datareceived column contains data as below

17/12/2010
18/12/2011
DECLINED
NULL

I need to load the data as it is. But thing is that, datatype is datetime..

We can modify the column as varchar...

But i need to know whether is it possible to load the data whatever present in the excel?

Regards
SqlStud

Well it sort of depends on what you want. You currently have a datetime column but obviously "DECLINED" isn't going to work there. If you want to keep your datetime datatype (which I strongly recommend) then you probably need to make that NULL. If you want to maintain the data exactly as it is excel you will have to change to a varchar column.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1370950
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:15 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Well it sort of depends on what you want. You currently have a datetime column but obviously "DECLINED" isn't going to work there. If you want to keep your datetime datatype (which I strongly recommend) then you probably need to make that NULL. If you want to maintain the data exactly as it is excel you will have to change to a varchar column.

Thanks Sean..

I have changed the datatype to Varchar....

Please find the attachement.

While make a preview in OLEDB Source the data in the date column is displayed as NULL. But in excel sheet, it is "DECLINED".

Could you please give me the solution?

Regards
SqlStud

Post Attachments 
Data Error.jpg (2 views, 45.52 KB)
Post #1371214
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:10 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 4:41 AM
sqlstud (10/10/2012)

Thanks Sean..

I have changed the datatype to Varchar....

Please find the attachement.

While make a preview in OLEDB Source the data in the date column is displayed as NULL. But in excel sheet, it is "DECLINED".

Could you please give me the solution?

Regards
SqlStud

I am with Sean - it's 100 times better to keep your dates in a datetime column and do something else with the DECLINED info - perhaps create another column to hold 'status', or whatever, and use that.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1371238
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:12 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 4:41 AM
Your Excel column is holding mixed datatypes, so you'll need to bring in the column as string and add IMEX=1 to the Excel connection string (Google it for details).

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1371239
Posted Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:30 AM
SSC Journeyman

Phil Parkin (10/11/2012)
Your Excel column is holding mixed datatypes, so you'll need to bring in the column as string and add IMEX=1 to the Excel connection string (Google it for details).

Thanks Phil...

I added IMEX=1 to the connection string..

But it displayed the error in OLEDB Source as

Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_CANNOTACQUIRECONNECTIONFROMCONNECTIONMANAGER. The AcquireConnection method call to the connection manager "Src_Product" failed with error code 0xC0202009. There may be error messages posted before this with more information on why the AcquireConnection method call failed.

Regards
Sqlstud
Post #1371282
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 3:04 AM
SSC Journeyman

It is solved..

i made change in the connection string

Data Source=<path\xlsx filename>;Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Extended Properties="Excel 12.0;HDR=YES;IMEX=1";

Thanks to all

Regards
Sqlstud
Post #1371963
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse