Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Rebuliding Indexes Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
YarHad (10/9/2012)
GilaMonster (10/9/2012)
Index rebuilds don't get written into the SQL Server error log. You could add a piece to your maintenance tasks to log that a rebuild was done if you like, or run a trace or set up an extended events session.

Ok, so it doesn't get written into the sql server log. Nice to know
Thank you very much!!

Just to clarify, what Gail's repeated above is that the Index Rebuild WILL be written into the log file (.ldf) that's attached to the database. That's not human readable, unfortunately.

It doesn't get into the error logs for the server, however, which is where we could actually find it.

Some of the .ldf writes tend to get confused as to whether or not they're actually written there so it's really just us trying to kill some old myths and make sure they don't start up again.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1370633
Posted Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:25 PM
Evil Kraig F (10/9/2012)
YarHad (10/9/2012)
GilaMonster (10/9/2012)
Index rebuilds don't get written into the SQL Server error log. You could add a piece to your maintenance tasks to log that a rebuild was done if you like, or run a trace or set up an extended events session.

Thank you very much!!

Just to clarify, what Gail's repeated above is that the Index Rebuild WILL be written into the log file (.ldf) that's attached to the database. That's not human readable, unfortunately.

Welll....... I can read it. Mostly.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1370643
Posted Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:52 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
GilaMonster (10/9/2012)
Evil Kraig F (10/9/2012)
YarHad (10/9/2012)
GilaMonster (10/9/2012)

Thank you very much!!

Welll....... I can read it. Mostly.

I'm still not entirely convinced you're not a Turing Complete database with the amount of knowledge you inhale for fun, though... I shouldn't pick on ya much for it though, I certainly benefit a lot from your knowledge.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1371042
Posted Friday, October 12, 2012 11:45 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:47 AM
YarHad (10/9/2012)
...I am rebuilding/reorganizing indexes and I am trying to locate the activity via server logs...

If you're reorganizing or rebuilding your indexes in a SQL Agent Job, you can examine the Job History for that job to see the details about the job: execution start time, time to execute, success or failure, and more.

The rebuild operation can be minimally logged to the database log file if the database recovery model is set to either bulk-logged or simple.
Post #1372305
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse