Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Challenge Yourself Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2012 4:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Challenge Yourself

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1366247
Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 9:15 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
"I used to tell all junior DBAs working for me that no cursors or temp tables were allowed. It was an iron rule for them to work within in the SQL Server v6.5 days and they needed to abide by it. Then one of them saw me using a cursor to perform some administrative update and asked me why. "

I personally do not make "ironclad rules" like this for a very obvious reason. It sounds dictatorial. I agree their use should be discouraged as a front line go to tool, but I think establishing an "iron rule" to not use them is a bit much.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1366617
Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 9:35 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:43 AM
I am curious on the rule against temp tables. Is that in preference for work tables?

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.
Post #1366627
Posted Monday, October 1, 2012 12:43 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:47 AM
How can you say to never do something, turn around and do it and they say it isn't hypocritical? Of course it is and this applies to any topic where a person preaches 'this' and does 'that'. This editorial should have never been written much less posted again. This article started off being about a rule that couldn't be enforced so the title should have been more about being flexible but instead it seems to lead down a road of denial.

We can all agree that doing things right the first time is very important as we can agree that standards and rules are. However, rules were made to be broken and I'd like to suggest that instead of saying "you can never do this" try implementing some sort of justification process. If someone insist they need to use a cursor for a given task make them justify it. If others in the room can suggest a more efficient/effective solution then no cursor. If nobody has anything to offer then...

Cheers
Post #1366706
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:53 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
Setting down a rule is intended to do just that, set a rule. However I do understand that there will be exceptions to the rule. What I didn't want was every person thinking exception first.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1367093
Posted Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:15 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Understand, but I think the term "iron" rule, was what threw some people like myself.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1367191
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse