Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SSMS Query Logging Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:24 PM
I've downloaded and installed SSMS Boost. Some interesting features and some usability issues too (eg Script Object as CREATE/ALTER fails with 'No suitable objects found at cursor position' unless you are in the same database context as the object which you are trying to script - even if fully qualified - puzzled me for a while). Promising though - keep it up.

My own development request - please add support for collapsible regions like in C#. This has been removed from SSMS Tools latest version because regions are apparently 'supported' in SSMS 2012. But they're not really, IMO.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1369945
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:27 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:37 AM
ssms-man (10/8/2012)
Jason-299789 (9/25/2012)
SSMSBoost looks interesting, though looking at the list of features you dont seem to get what phil is looking for, and seems very similar to SSMSTools, all be it has a few neice additional features (lookup object etc).

The 50 Euro price tag may put people off and the need to constantly down load the free version every 45 days.

We have released SSMSBoost v 2.6 today. Due to user feedback, free version must be updated only every 120 days (instead of 45 in previous versions). I hope this helps. Please also note, that you do not have to buy the PRO version at all. It is kind of support for a project. Free version has full set of functions.

We have already internal 2.7 release with logging functionality. I will do a short post here, as far as we release it to public.

thanks for the update Ill have a look at down loading it and installing it.

Post #1370213
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 4:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 6:33 PM
Phil Parkin (10/8/2012)
I've downloaded and installed SSMS Boost. Some interesting features and some usability issues too (eg Script Object as CREATE/ALTER fails with 'No suitable objects found at cursor position' unless you are in the same database context as the object which you are trying to script - even if fully qualified - puzzled me for a while). Promising though - keep it up.

Right, this is "known" feature ;) It is in "to fix" list for next release.

My own development request - please add support for collapsible regions like in C#. This has been removed from SSMS Tools latest version because regions are apparently 'supported' in SSMS 2012. But they're not really, IMO.

Why do you write,that they are not supported in SSMS2012 ? I can see them there. Or don't you like the way they are implemented ?
Post #1370305
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 5:19 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

ssms-man (10/9/2012)
Phil Parkin (10/8/2012)

Why do you write,that they are not supported in SSMS2012 ? I can see them there. Or don't you like the way they are implemented ?

OK - first of all my disclaimer: we are in the process of upgrading to SSMS 2012, so I have only been using it for the last week. Maybe I have missed something

But it seems that SSMS 2012 does not give you control over your regions, rather it adopts an 'I know best' attitude when determining what the regions should be.

With SSMS tools, pre 2012, I was able to structure long and complex scripts into collapsible sections. Simply by pressing CTRL-K, CTRL-J, the regions would collapse, leaving me with a screen of headings which made navigation easy. See attached image for an example. Those regions contains many lines of code which would not be grouped in SSMS 2012.

I know that there is the 'hide' function in SSMS 2012, which works the way I want, but the hidden areas are not persisted between editing sessions.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.

Post Attachments 
RegionsExample.jpg (6 views, 50.58 KB)
Post #1370321
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:04 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Phil Parkin (10/9/2012)
ssms-man (10/9/2012)
Phil Parkin (10/8/2012)

OK - first of all my disclaimer: we are in the process of upgrading to SSMS 2012, so I have only been using it for the last week. Maybe I have missed something

But it seems that SSMS 2012 does not give you control over your regions, rather it adopts an 'I know best' attitude when determining what the regions should be.

With SSMS tools, pre 2012, I was able to structure long and complex scripts into collapsible sections. Simply by pressing CTRL-K, CTRL-J, the regions would collapse, leaving me with a screen of headings which made navigation easy. See attached image for an example. Those regions contains many lines of code which would not be grouped in SSMS 2012.

I know that there is the 'hide' function in SSMS 2012, which works the way I want, but the hidden areas are not persisted between editing sessions.

Ok, I understand what you want and will add to "to investigate" list. We did not re-use regions till now, so we'll need some time to invest before we find approriate interfaces of SQL Editor control.
<by the way - I just have updated 2.6 version once again, with some small fixes/additions reported by users since yesterday>
Post #1370346
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:09 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

ssms-man (10/9/2012)
Phil Parkin (10/9/2012)
ssms-man (10/9/2012)
Phil Parkin (10/8/2012)

Ok, I understand what you want and will add to "to investigate" list. We did not re-use regions till now, so we'll need some time to invest before we find approriate interfaces of SQL Editor control.
<by the way - I just have updated 2.6 version once again, with some small fixes/additions reported by users since yesterday>

Good man. If you won't be looking at this for a while, can I suggest that you contact me when you do get round to it? I may just have written something myself by then which you might be able to use.

Post #1370350
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:17 AM
Grasshopper

Good man. If you won't be looking at this for a while, can I suggest that you contact me when you do get round to it? I may just have written something myself by then which you might be able to use.

Ok, thank you ! I will do.
Just in case: I have created a sample project for SSMS 2012 add-in. It has some minor theory and a downloadable project:
http://www.ssmsboost.com/create-own-ssms-2012-add-in-sample-code-with-download
It might save you some hours :)
Post #1370356
Posted Tuesday, October 09, 2012 6:21 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

ssms-man (10/9/2012)

Ok, thank you ! I will do.
Just in case: I have created a sample project for SSMS 2012 add-in. It has some minor theory and a downloadable project:
http://www.ssmsboost.com/create-own-ssms-2012-add-in-sample-code-with-download
It might save you some hours :)

Fantastic - I'll take a look at that.

Post #1370359
Posted Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:54 PM
Grasshopper

Just an update:
SSMSBoost v2.7 was released yesterday. We have added "Find in Grid" functionality. Statement logging and Auto-sessions are still on the way. We need some more time to make good UI, so we have decided to make intermediate release. Next release planned to end of January.
Post #1392793
Posted Wednesday, December 05, 2012 11:25 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 5:29 AM
ssms-man (12/4/2012)
Just an update:
SSMSBoost v2.7 was released yesterday. We have added "Find in Grid" functionality. Statement logging and Auto-sessions are still on the way. We need some more time to make good UI, so we have decided to make intermediate release. Next release planned to end of January.

I would really be interested in the statement logging as well. im downloading as i type.

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1
Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2

Jeremy Oursler
Post #1393143
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse