Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Replication Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:26 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:04 AM
As an addition to the above with MSDTC. If you are suing VMWare and deploying virtual machines from a Template, you may also see this error when setting up replication as the cids for msdtc will probably be the same.

I have written a quick blog post on this:
[url=http://paulmjclark.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/dtc-error-warning-cid-values-for-bothe.html][/url]

This behaviour can cause quite a few issues with SQL Server so it's a good one to watch out for in a Virual Server Environment....

Post #1367614
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:06 AM
Hi Raj,

I have a doubt, we commonly using MSDTC in cluster environment and i am configured lot of times replication but never touch the MSDTC services. Could you please collaborate this one..

Thanks
Satish
Post #1368197
Posted Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:17 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:04 AM
saidapurs (10/4/2012)
Hi Raj,

I have a doubt, we commonly using MSDTC in cluster environment and i am configured lot of times replication but never touch the MSDTC services. Could you please collaborate this one..

Thanks
Satish

Hi Satish,

My reply was in regards to duplicate cids if you are deploying Virtual Servers from a preconfigured template.

You don't necessarily have to configure MSDTC for replication, but it does need to be running, from what I remember SQL would use MSDTC for the linked servers it creates when you set up Replication....

See the below from a post in the MSDN Forums:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/is/sqlreplication/thread/9eac926e-18e8-481e-9028-0269ddc1a2ae

Cheers Paul
Post #1368222
Posted Friday, October 5, 2012 4:19 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:05 PM
You'll need MS DTC running if you are using 'immediate updating' updateable subscriptions. The other option is 'queued updating.' Here the changes are stored at the client and pushed when the publisher can be contacted.

Post #1369340
Posted Friday, October 5, 2012 9:30 PM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:54 AM
"Did you started MSDTC, if not please start and allow inbound and outbound.
I think your problem should be resolved"

Hi guys in earlier post Raj suggested to turn on MSDTC, I turned it on in Serviced and my configured Repliction (Transactional Publication with updatable Subscription)
started to work. In his post he mentionded that I should allow inbouns and outbound when I turned on MSDTC, does anyone knows what or where inbound and outbound is,since I did not see those options when I turned on MSDTC.
Post #1369369
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse