Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Using Sparse Columns with SELECT ... INTO Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:06 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:04 PM
Great question! Thanks, Wayne!
Post #1351773
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:32 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:46 AM
Nice question. Thanks!
Post #1351788
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:29 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 2:46 PM
Never used sparse columns in my SQL experience, do any developers here use them frequently?
Post #1351882
Posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:01 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 6:02 PM
Great question, Wayne. Made me think and research a lot.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan
Post #1351900
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:44 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 10:34 AM
churlbut (8/29/2012)
Never used sparse columns in my SQL experience, do any developers here use them frequently?

I have never used them and am not sure I understand their true applicability.
Post #1352097
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2012 11:00 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 7:10 PM
Good question.

I find it rather surprising that 19% of people to date think the column name doesn't carry over, and 17% think the data type doesn't carry over - I would expect more than 90% of people to know that both those properties are transferred to the new table.

30% of people think that nullability doesn't carry over to the new table, and that's not just surprising it's appalling.

Only 18% of people thought that sparseness carried only, so about as many people understand that sparseness is not copied as understand that the column names are or that data types are. Seems quite bizarre! And about twice as many get sparseness right than nullability, which seems even bizarrer.

Tom
Post #1353249
Posted Sunday, September 02, 2012 12:04 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:57 PM
Thanks Tom,

I have to agree with your assessment. I would have expected the name, data type and null-ability to all be >95%.

I actually felt that this question was so easy, that I asked Steve to not show the number of correct answers... if it showed 3, I felt that everyone would just check those 3. (My thinking was that they would apply deductive reasoning, instead of thinking about the question. I wanted more thought to go into it.)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1353262
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:05 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:07 AM
Pure chance.

some way of compensation ?
Post #1398991
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse