Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Mirroring and SQL logins... Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:52 AM
Hi, If I run "select * from sys.sql_logins" on my principal and mirrored servers it gives me the exact same results in terms of names, SID, created dates etc. The only discrepancies are with these:

Default database - on the principal it has the user database as the default for the logins, but on the mirrored server the logins list master as default. presumably that is because the mirrored version has a 'Restoring...' status. If there was a failover, would the default database change to be the user DB automatically?

Principal ID - these numbers are slighty out of sync between both servers. Can that be ignored?

I want to know that if mirrored failover occurs, will all SQL logins be fully functioning??
Post #1347801
Posted Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:02 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:59 PM
The key for the SQL Logins is the SID, and since they are the same, there should be no problems. As far as the default database changing on a failover, I'm not sure. The best way to find out is test it a test environment and see what happens.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1347805
Posted Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:25 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:57 AM
rarara (8/21/2012)
Default database - on the principal it has the user database as the default for the logins, but on the mirrored server the logins list master as default. presumably that is because the mirrored version has a 'Restoring...' status. If there was a failover, would the default database change to be the user DB automatically?

Mirroring is at the database level, so no. You'll need to add this to your DR plan. Next time consider creating a shell database, associate each Login with the default database they have on the primary and then initialize your mirroring sessions. That said, it's still a good idea to script things like this out periodically for use after a failover. Just in case anyone has changed their default database on the primary to another mirrored database.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1352388
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 4:38 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 8:15 AM
opc.three ,

hope login created dates are matched because of master DB sync?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1352688
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 6:00 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

durai nagarajan (8/31/2012)
opc.three ,

hope login created dates are matched because of master DB sync?

Sorry, I do not get your comment. Please clarify.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1352738
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 6:45 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

as the user specified select * from sys.sql_logins datas are matching on both the servers.

is it matching due to master DB mirroring?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1352765
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 8:22 AM

SSCertifiable

durai nagarajan (8/31/2012)
as the user specified select * from sys.sql_logins datas are matching on both the servers.

is it matching due to master DB mirroring?

The same except for the two columns mentioned.

No, master cannot be mirrored.

@rarara, are your two instances running under the same domain account?

Post #1352845
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 9:05 AM
Ten Centuries

[b]opc.three (8/31/2012No, master cannot be mirrored.

Thanks, i have read it somewhere , but how did the other details gone to the secondary server?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1352884
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 9:11 AM

SSCertifiable

That's why I asked about the account the partners are running under. In some configs logins go over automatically, in others they do not.

Post #1352894
Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 9:30 AM
Ten Centuries

opc you mis-understood this is not @rarara.

i asked my doubt related to that.

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Post #1352913
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse