Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Junior SQL Dba - training path Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:45 AM
I am a junior dba with 1 years experience, including an mcts in SQL admin. I was wondering could an experienced dba provide me with a rough training/development guide to become a top/expert dba. E.g.

1. Learn t-SQL development
2. Ssrs
3. Powershell

This is only an example, any help would be grateful.
Post #1346271
Posted Friday, August 17, 2012 4:41 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:07 PM
SSRS is almost a completely different field of study from being a DBA, so, while I like SSRS, support it's use and all that, I don't know that I'd concentrate my efforts there for trying to learn the DBA job.

I like two of your choices, T-SQL and PowerShell. With that in mind, I can recommend two books:
Inside SQL Server T-SQL Querying by Itzik Ben Gan
PowerShell in a Month of Lunches by Don Jones

Those books will teach you very solid fundamentals and the authors are extremely respected professionals in their fields.

But that's just brushing the edge of SQL Server. You still need to drill down into all the other aspects, backups, restores, structure, storage, etc. To get started on that, I'll recommend my basics book, Beginning SQL Server 2008 (or 2012) Administration. It gives a pretty good overview of all aspects of the DBA job to get you going.

In addition to books, I strongly suggest hanging out on the forums here. Attempt to answer questions. This forces you to learn quite a lot. If you're not getting enough challenge at work, volunteer to build a database for a community organization or non-profit in the area.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1346467
Posted Friday, August 17, 2012 6:21 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
rmcmanus05 (8/16/2012)
... provide me with a rough training/development guide to become a top/expert dba.

Database performance is what you want to tackle.

Be sure you understand execution plans and wait events. Be sure you can troubleshoot a particular query to the point you know exactly what it is doing and the ways you have to change its behavior.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1346499
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse