Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Learning C Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:12 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:42 AM
I'll be honest. I took C. It wasn't very useful. I program in .NET and SQL so much different than C, that there really wasn't any carry over whatsoever.
Post #1345330
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:24 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Question Guy (8/15/2012)
I'll be honest. I took C.
\

Learning and using C on the job, and taking the class are two different things entirely..

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1345339
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:40 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 6:44 AM
If I had to teach all college graduates one language, it would be SQL. It's more practical than C. Most all developers these days write at least some SQL, and most do it badly.

If we teach non-programmers, folks like salespeople, managers, or scientists how to write their own queries against a database, without handing off their requests to IT, they can immediately start benefitting from that knowledge. It's empowering.

If you teach them C, they'll spend weeks learning how print "Hello World" on a console, will never use it, and will forget everything three months.
Post #1345357
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:47 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Eric M Russell (8/15/2012)

If you teach them C, they'll spend weeks learning how print "Hello World" on a console, will never use it, and will forget everything three months.

My point exactly.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1345360
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:21 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:59 PM
If I had to teach all college graduates one language, it would be SQL. It's more practical than C. Most all developers these days write at least some SQL, and most do it badly.

If we teach non-programmers, folks like salespeople, managers, or scientists how to write their own queries against a database, without handing off their requests to IT, they can immediately start benefitting from that knowledge. It's empowering.

Can we also teach them how to request information from IT? If the average consumer provided the basics like a URL (isn't everything served via http?), what they have, and what they want (deltas from what they have) - we might be able to start providing solutions right away. Mostly now we have a session of 20 questions to qualify that they have no idea what they are asking for.

Coding "to the hardware" in a cloud makes no sense. I'm not sure we should want our customers writing queries/code. However, I agree that having some appreciation for process would make everybody more effective & efficient at work. Not sure how you teach that to those who don't already possess the skill.
Post #1345382
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:25 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
Question Guy (8/15/2012)
I'll be honest. I took C. It wasn't very useful. I program in .NET and SQL so much different than C, that there really wasn't any carry over whatsoever.

I bet that's not true. I suspect you don't see the fundamentals that you take from C and move into more practical languages.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1345384
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
[\quote]

I'd agree here if you are querying data. Maybe everyone should have that.

[quote]

I disagree. The basic concepts of programming will stick with them, even if they don't use them directly. All the stuff I saw in C still exists in C#, Java, Python, etc.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1345385
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:29 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:41 AM
GSquared (8/15/2012)
...Make everyone learn Malboge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbolge)...

Ouch! Why did I click that link? Why?

Personally I fall in the anti-C group. I did take a C class in college, but most of the classes were in pascal variants. C variants always felt like a way to force everything into a function even if it's unnatural. Programing languages are supposed to be for people to understand, but C requires the people to think like a machine to understand them.
Post #1345386
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:34 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
Took C in college, spent 15+ years programming in it, much better programmer for it. I have seen many SQL only programmers create code that is unstructured and hence hard to maintain. Not saying you can't be good SQL only, but perhaps it is you do not know what you do not know.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1345387
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:47 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM
I have had c# training, but never had the opportunity to put it to use. Starting in high school I learned BASIC, COBOL, ALGOL, Focal, FORTRAN. Moving on to college I learned Pascal, Modula-2, Ada, VAX and PDP-11 Assembler, and more COBOL. In the real world, the only language I used directly that I learned in school was COBOL. Learned and used several reporting tools, scripted several Spreadsheet applications, and did a lot of command line scripting for several OS's.

Is learning C necessary, I don't thnik so. Learning to convert algorithms into working code, yes.
Learning to write well performing code, that comes with experience and mentoring. Not really sure that can be taught in school.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1345395
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse