Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

data recover Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 13, 2013 3:03 AM
Hi

someone has deleted some records from a table and has also deleted the corresponding record from the audit log. It has been 2 months now then I came to know. can i still recover this data? of how can i know what was deleted? my backup model is full and i have a backup which is 2 weeks after the data was deleted. after this i have had everyday backups.

Please assist
Post #1340986
Posted Monday, August 06, 2012 10:20 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:25 PM
If you don't have a backup file from prior to the record being deleted, you are out of luck in recovering the deleted records.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1340987
Posted Monday, August 06, 2012 10:34 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

actually i just came to know that have a backup file which is 6 days prior to the day the record was deleted.
Post #1340991
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:30 AM
Grasshopper

can i backup the transaction log and use the full backup (6 days) prior to the deletion and restore the database with stopat (a time just before the deletion)? will this work?
Post #1341097
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:31 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:37 AM
If you have a backup you can recover. But 6 days prior to the delete, you will only get the data as it was 6 days prior, you wont get the data as it was at the time the delete happened.

If data doesnt change your fine, if it does then you wont be able to get the "true" data back.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1341098
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:35 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

raheelr 63130 (8/7/2012)
can i backup the transaction log and use the full backup (6 days) prior to the deletion and restore the database with stopat (a time just before the deletion)? will this work?

Do you have the full transaction log chain from the time of the full backup to now?

SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

Post #1341100
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:40 AM
Grasshopper

I dont purge or truncate my transaction log so i believe the full log is thier. the size of the db is apprx 19gb and the log is around 23gb
Post #1341104
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:42 AM
Grasshopper

i have another backup which is 8 days after the deletion. will this work with transaction log?
Post #1341106
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:44 AM

SSCertifiable

Do you backup the transaction log or not? What recovery model is the database?

Post #1341107
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2012 3:48 AM
Grasshopper

my recovery model is full and i dont backup the transaction log. this database is just 3 months old and ever since no transaction log backup has been done, only full
Post #1341108
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse