Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The DBA Database Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The DBA Database

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1337641
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:28 PM
My company as a policy does not allow to build extra databases. So for me i built a CMS instance and use powershell to manage my instances
Post #1337770
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:39 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:10 AM
My mentor and our Sr. DBA (wisely) put a DBA database in place for all critical environments. The setup gives us tables to audit/log DDL events, log certain other activity, monitor blocking, monitor statistics, and work with trace analysis and it has proven to be extremely valuable many times over! Couldn't agree more.

------------------------
David Caughill
Production DBA
Grad Student
Coffee Enthusiast
Post #1337806
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:43 AM
Have you considered using the Management Data Warehouse feature available natively in SQL 2008 and higher?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939169(v=SQL.100).aspx

We've found it to be quite useful for performance diagnostics, without the need for custom scripting. It's all built into SQL Server.

That said, we did build on Bill Ramos' excellent work to convert the reporting capability which ships with MDW to an SSRS based solution.

Post #1337832
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:34 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 9:05 AM
Would / could you share the SSRS solution? I have been thinking about doing the samething, but just haven't found the time.

Jim
Post #1337852
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:41 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:44 PM
In a perfect world MDW would be nice, but there will always be a couple of 2005 and/or 2000 instances floating around...
Post #1337854
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:42 AM
Forum Newbie

I could, but would direct you to Bill's blog first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billramo/

There's a six part series there on migrating MDW reports to SSRS. Bill's approach leverages a new query data collector to take advantage of the 'fingerprint' feature. As my organization already had a large deployment going, I had a need to build on Bill's work (or take away from you might say) by re-writing his reports to work with the out of the box query collector. If you have the ablity to deploy his query colelctor I would encourage you to go that route as the 'fingerprint' feature certainly adds value in aggregating similar, non-parameterized, queries by KPI.
Post #1337856
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:46 AM
Forum Newbie

@Lian

Certainly true, but hopefully less and less. We (briefly) considered reverse engineering the SQL 2008 MDW / data collector solution to gather data from SQL 2005 instances, but then decided the effort outweighed the long term gains. Better to focus on moving those instances to SQL 2008 (or 2012, now).

@Jim

If after reading over Bill's blog you find you need query reports which work with the out of the box collectors let me know. That and an overview report which only displays instances to the end user to which they should have access are the two principal changes I've made to Bill's work. (So far)
Post #1337858
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, March 17, 2014 5:53 AM
As part of a development team we have shared DBA resources, and cannot access most of the "good" stuff about the server ourselves. That being said, we do have a DBA-type database on each server as well as a centralized database where all the data is collected. We mainly store job run information so we can monitor the jobs and capture error information to help with error recovery rather than digging through the job history in SSMS. Using a query is much faster and much more informative.
Post #1337860
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:52 AM

Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:10 AM
nathaniel.drehmel (7/31/2012)
I could, but would direct you to Bill's blog first:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billramo/

There's a six part series there on migrating MDW reports to SSRS. Bill's approach leverages a new query data collector to take advantage of the 'fingerprint' feature. As my organization already had a large deployment going, I had a need to build on Bill's work (or take away from you might say) by re-writing his reports to work with the out of the box query collector. If you have the ablity to deploy his query colelctor I would encourage you to go that route as the 'fingerprint' feature certainly adds value in aggregating similar, non-parameterized, queries by KPI.

Thanks for this - we've been doing a lot of SSRS work lately and I'd LOVE to harness this. Definitely going to check it out!

------------------------
David Caughill
Production DBA
Grad Student
Coffee Enthusiast
Post #1337865
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse