Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Cubes without A Data Warehouse? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:15 AM
Greetz!

I'm new to the BI space and have been asked to look into using cubes without building a datawarehouse or otherwise restructuring the current reporting database that is in use. Everything I've seen in the way of articles and tutorials about cubes use the AdventureWorksDW database and nothing has used a relational model. Is it possible to build cubes of relational tables? I'm guessing the performance would be abysmal but I'm not certain. Would this solution, if possible, suffice for a small number of users (like 5) doing ad hoc reporting?

Any good resources you have for learing more on this would be great.

Thanks!

Love them all ... regardless.
- Buddha
Post #1336678
Posted Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:31 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
I remember developers creating Cognos cubes out of a relational database so the answer would be yes, it is possible.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1337034
Posted Monday, July 30, 2012 12:12 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:31 PM
It's possible. You can "model" a dimensional starschema in the data source view of Analysis Services.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1337070
Posted Friday, September 07, 2012 5:33 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:15 AM
I've also seen BI-Lite which claims to be able to do the job. I've not been able to test this since it requires .Net 4 which I'm not able to install just yet.

I'm not able to use 3rd party tools (at this point) so I should have clarified that I would need to do this in ANSI SQL using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Love them all ... regardless.
- Buddha
Post #1355911
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:41 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 10:27 AM
Why DONT you want to build a DW? apart from a pretty steep learning curve, I don't think there is any licencing issue with R2

you can build pivots for specific datasets, or you may be better off connecting XL to the R2 database and using pivot tables

A lot of cube type analysis can be done in SSRS as well.

How big is your data, how GOOD is your data and how well indexed are your tables. On the primary tables, are you mainly inserting records or are there a lot of updates and deletes as well. Is the database OLTP (transactional) or OLAP (analysis and reporting)

Do users need to be able to summarise and drill down in many different ways, or do they just want pretty reports. If the latter, then SSAS may be overkill, you can do the same using nise SSRS reports.
Post #1358556
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse