Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

A Really Good Job Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
Scott D. Jacobson (7/25/2012)
Amen Steve. Well put. I need some inspiration morning. When I get home tonight, I'm going to spend at least an hour sending out resumes.

Good for you and good luck.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1335191
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:00 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
The first step in accomplishing anything (except by luck), is deciding exactly what it is that you want. If someone asks you to "create a table", is that enough of a spec? Might you accidentally end up with something that looks good in a living room and can hold coffee cups and magazines well, when what was wanted was something that holds rows and columns of data? Or vice-versa.

The most important step most people don't do is define what they want from a job other than a paycheck. Some go so far as to clarify it to "a paycheck and no BS", but then don't actually define what level and type of "BS" is too much/little. Define industries that you'd want to work in, and ones you'd refuse to work in, and so on.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1335196
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:40 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 11:54 AM
While I'm not working at my "dream job", (there are so few jobs that involve eating ice cream, reading books, and hanging out with your kids at home), I feel very blessed and happy with the job I have. No job or company is perfect, but it is possible to find a position, company, and location that feels like home. I know because I did.

And for those looking for a great job, don't forget to check the 'SQL Jobs' link here at SQL Server Central.
(I have a couple positions open that I would love to fill. )
Post #1335234
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:42 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:01 AM
To be well paid to do what I love to do, and to be treated like I am valuable is a dream job. May we all recognize what we have when we find it!

Appreciate the thoughts on this. Have a great day. And Steve, great pic!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1335238
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:41 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:34 PM
The last 10 years of my work life have been far and away the most rewarding and the last three in particular have been almost too good to be true.

I won’t go into detail about the wonderful particulars of my current situation but rather explain that I first had to suffer, and then focus to get where I am. I suffered because I hadn’t identified a particular career path and was unemployed during a recession and experiencing a fruitless job search.

I found a life changing book called “What Color Is Your Parachute” and following the advice in it literally changed my life.

Long story short: Identify your favorite skills and jobs that allow you to use those skills. Put another way, “How can you use your favorite skills to make money for other people?”

Answer that question and that great job may come your way.

(we all like to talk about ourselves, don’t we )

Post #1335485
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:50 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:17 AM
bclyde-1080677 (7/25/2012)
While I'm not working at my "dream job", (there are so few jobs that involve eating ice cream, reading books, and hanging out with your kids at home), I feel very blessed and happy with the job I have. No job or company is perfect, but it is possible to find a position, company, and location that feels like home. I know because I did.

And for those looking for a great job, don't forget to check the 'SQL Jobs' link here at SQL Server Central.
(I have a couple positions open that I would love to fill. )

Clue as to which ones? Curious if one of them is the one you posted about in another thread.

Not that I'm looking. I do know of someone who might be, just don't know if they would relocate or not.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1335488
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:23 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM
LOVIN' the kilts!
Post #1335520
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:42 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
Joan OBryan (7/25/2012)
LOVIN' the kilts!

:)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1335545
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
jshahan (7/25/2012)
The last 10 years of my work life have been far and away the most rewarding and the last three in particular have been almost too good to be true.

I won’t go into detail about the wonderful particulars of my current situation but rather explain that I first had to suffer, and then focus to get where I am. I suffered because I hadn’t identified a particular career path and was unemployed during a recession and experiencing a fruitless job search.

I found a life changing book called “What Color Is Your Parachute” and following the advice in it literally changed my life.

Long story short: Identify your favorite skills and jobs that allow you to use those skills. Put another way, “How can you use your favorite skills to make money for other people?”

(we all like to talk about ourselves, don’t we )

There is also an online aptitude test you can register for as well at http://parachute.capella.edu/faq

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1335866
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:03 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 5:41 PM
jshahan (7/25/2012)
Put another way, “How can you use your favorite skills to make money for other people?”

I'm not sure that is an accurate way to frame it. For those of you out there considering it, why not start your own business and work for yourself? It has it's own set of difficulties but for some, it's much more rewarding than padding someone else's wallet.
Post #1335917
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse