Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

common table expressions Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:50 AM
Hi
I have used recursive common table expressions which i really like.

is there such thing as a non recursive CTE? how are they used?

how else can a cte be used?

thanks
Post #1329838
Posted Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 6:53 PM
First two examples (in the suggested article below) exhibit non recursive common table expressions (CTE) but CTE is motsly used for recursion.

WITH common_table_expression (Transact-SQL)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175972(v=sql.105).aspx

Dev

Devendra Shirbad | BIG Data Architect / DBA | Ex-Microsoft CSS (SQL 3T)
*** Open Network for Database Professionals ***

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/devendrashirbad
Post #1329855
Posted Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:58 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 12:03 PM
I use CTE's to organize my queries and move derived tables up to the top of the query. In other cases, I will use a CTE to include row_number, rank, dense_rank or computed columns to be later used in calculations.

I have also converted temp tables to CTEs for SSIS/SSRS procedures since both tend to have significant issues with temp tables. In some cases, moving to CTEs instead of temp tables improved performance - in other cases it didn't.

Generally, I will take the performance hit in SSIS/SSRS over the requirements to allow either to use temp tables. However, if the performance is really bad - I will use temp tables and work around the limitations.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #1329879
Posted Monday, July 16, 2012 2:01 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

thanks for the replies

interesting stuff :)
Post #1329969
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:37 AM
SSC Veteran

Jeffrey Williams 3188 (7/15/2012)
I use CTE's to organize my queries and move derived tables up to the top of the query. In other cases, I will use a CTE to include row_number, rank, dense_rank or computed columns to be later used in calculations.

I have also converted temp tables to CTEs for SSIS/SSRS procedures since both tend to have significant issues with temp tables. In some cases, moving to CTEs instead of temp tables improved performance - in other cases it didn't.

Generally, I will take the performance hit in SSIS/SSRS over the requirements to allow either to use temp tables. However, if the performance is really bad - I will use temp tables and work around the limitations.

I have done exactly this today and i like it

the query does seem a bit slow tho, do CTEs have bad performance?
Post #1341138
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:46 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:05 PM
erics44 (8/7/2012)
Jeffrey Williams 3188 (7/15/2012)

I have done exactly this today and i like it

the query does seem a bit slow tho, do CTEs have bad performance?

No a CTE does not have bad performance anymore than any query has bad performance. It is HOW the query is written that causes poor performance.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1341321
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:02 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
I'm like Jeff.

I use CTE's to move subqueries to the top so I can treat them as the proper named derived tables that they are.

I also use them when I need to use things like ROW_NUMBER in a where clause (you can't use it directly in a where clause but if it's in a CTE you can use it in the query that makes use of it).

Of the hundreds of CTE's I've written, perhaps 1-2 of them make use of recursion.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1341380
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:24 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:19 PM
I use CTEs to breakdown development as well. Makes the code cleaner when the CTE is used instead of a derived table in the FROM clause, and it makes using the windowing functions (ROW_NUMBER(), RANK() , etc) easier as well.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1341397
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse