Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Database Design for Hospital Management Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:33 PM
Hi,

I want to create a database for hospital management system.
but i dont have much idea to design db. Can anyone help creating db for hospital management.

It will be a great help.

Regards,
Jigneshal
" Stretch Your Limit Little Beyond Your Limit....! "
Post #1323656
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 1:28 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
I suggest hiring a consultant.
Or at least following some courses about database design and read some books about the subject.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1323659
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 1:32 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Hi,

but i dont have much idea to design db. Can anyone help creating db for hospital management.

It will be a great help.

Is this a personal project or professional? ie for college/uni

What will you be managing?

Depending on the scale it could mean a consultant.
Post #1323660
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Its an Uni project..

Regards,
Jigneshal
Post #1323676
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:18 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Its an Uni project..

In that case I would recommand to learn more about ER (Entity Relationship) modelling and about normalizing databases.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1323677
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:20 AM
Grasshopper

MysteryJimbo (7/2/2012)
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Hi,

It will be a great help.

the project is meant to manage patients, staff, doctors, ward rooms, embulance, testing laboratories etc...
it contains patients history , decease history, prescriptions by docs,.. etc

Regards,
Jigneshal
Post #1323678
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:31 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Its an Uni project..

Good guess on my part since its extremely unlikely that it'd be a professional question like that.

Assuming you already know the basics of database design from you uni course, I'd start with looking at the people entities (patients, doctors, nurses etc) and their records then build from there. As you will already know, an employee can become a patient so I would suggest a single table (or group of tables) for people/persons and go from there. At least thats how I would do it.

As it is a uni task I'd suggest other comments simply point you in the right direction rather than giving you a direct answer since you will learn more and everybody will have slightly different approaches. You will gain more by doing it yourself and your teacher will learn more from your approach
Post #1323684
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:32 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:49 AM
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
MysteryJimbo (7/2/2012)
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Hi,

It will be a great help.

the project is meant to manage patients, staff, doctors, ward rooms, embulance, testing laboratories etc...
it contains patients history , decease history, prescriptions by docs,.. etc

Aren't you meant to be doing this?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1323685
Posted Monday, July 2, 2012 2:38 AM
Grasshopper

MysteryJimbo (7/2/2012)
Jigneshal (7/2/2012)
Its an Uni project..

Good guess on my part since its extremely unlikely that it'd be a professional question like that.

Assuming you already know the basics of database design from you uni course, I'd start with looking at the people entities (patients, doctors, nurses etc) and their records then build from there. As you will already know, an employee can become a patient so I would suggest a single table (or group of tables) for people/persons and go from there. At least thats how I would do it.

As it is a uni task I'd suggest other comments simply point you in the right direction rather than giving you a direct answer since you will learn more and everybody will have slightly different approaches. You will gain more by doing it yourself and your teacher will learn more from your approach

Thanks MysteryJimbo

Regards,
Jigneshal
Post #1323688
Posted Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:38 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:27 PM
There are multi-billion-dollar companies (Cerner, for example) whose sole purpose is to create hospital management systems that cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars. It sounds like you're biting off a big chunk to start your database design experience. I'd recommend that you scale back a bit (or a lot!) to learn the concepts and then work from there. Otherwise you're starting on a multi-year task with plenty of opportunities to get lost in all the details. If this truly is a university project that was assigned to you, I have to wonder what it is they're trying to teach you, especially someone who (evidently) hasn't been exposed to database design theory.
Post #1324436
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse