Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The High Availability Poll Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:27 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The High Availability Poll

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1322846
Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:31 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 3:57 PM
Working in the legal industry, I can say that there is both a desire and the resources to make HA real. The last firm I worked for runs 2 large 2-node active/passive clusters. One of which was entirely dedicated to the billing system. The other mostly for the DMS but also sharepoint. Towards the end of my time there, they started to implement an off-site HA capability. Basically a simple fail over for the Blackberry database and Exchange server to ensure email would continue.

The firm I currently work for have gone entirely offsite. All SQL servers are running in virtual instances. The SANs are diffed off-site with equal hardware running the same VMs. Downtime for a complete fail over is a few minutes. Because of this, there is no other HA implemented. No clustering or mirroring or replication.

Post #1322860
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 1:29 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:32 AM
Desperately important AFTER an incident occurs that involves lack of availability.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1322896
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 3:06 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:59 AM
Working in the energy industry, the business units don't require us to be able to recover instantly with HA options.
The fact is that this isn't a business continutity decision but a decision based on costs of the hardware and software.

It has been a real pain for me to convince the business units to take a good look at the possibilities and make a decision for the business continuity.
No success so far.

I guess the shit really has to hit the fan before decisions like this are made based on the right reasons.

Post #1322933
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 3:21 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 2:07 AM
I will happily join the cynics here and say we will implement HA after serious costly downtime. It doesn't seem to be terribly likely as our team have rarely lost anything important for any length of time. In this case, I think you need high penalties for an hour or so of outage (which you might otherwise occasionally encounter) or not be adequately organised to recover quickly.
Post #1322938
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 4:40 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:34 AM
Highly available database is a must for us (a large eshop). We used failover clustering but are going to move to AlwaysOn in a few weeks.
Post #1322973
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 5:27 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
It is very important to us or my employer. I work for a large insurance company that is active in Scandinavia, the northern Europe. The department i work for is responsible for the large customers and it's very important that they can create insurances on the fly and have our support and knowledge available. We want our customers to succeed, that also is good for our business.
Post #1322995
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 5:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 1, 2014 9:11 AM
In the Lottery industry, 100% availability is paramount. Our company has likely invested as much time and money on HA database and system functionality as it has on actual software development. Noone wants to hear "Sorry, the Lottery is down" when there's a $100 million jackpot on the "line". :)
Post #1322997
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 7:08 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 6:54 AM
We have hardware up and running with databases all setup and configured at out DR site. In the event of a disaster we'd recover the dbs from our de-dup backups at that site. Our system owners are OK with a few hours of downtime in order to recover the dbs as they are not that critical to our business. I don't think I could ever convince senior mgt to spend the big extra cost of Enterprise Edition to get Always On. We are just now going to SQL2008R2 for these databases so we probably won't even go to SQL2012 and just skip it and go with SQL2015 anyway.

Post #1323061
Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 7:11 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
Yes, my company sees it as critical for both HA and DR.

We use a combination of technologies which include clustering and scaled out replication for HA and other technologies for DR.

The biggest thing to determine in all this is the TRUE need and the amount of time that you can be offline and then engineer a solution to meet those requirements. There are a myriad of options, even some homegrown that are better than nothing. Sure, your downtime might be longer with some of those options but that may be totally acceptable in the industry that you are in.

In reality all companies have a need. And there are always ways to get a solution in place, even on a very limited budget. We as DBA's just need to convince them to invest the time in getting something in place.

David

@SQLTentmaker
SQL Tentmaker
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot
Post #1323065
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse