Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

New Security Holes Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 5:32 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/4/2012)
djackson 22568 (6/4/2012)

It isn't just voice recognition we ought to be worried about.

So very true.

Any of our data, even things we might not expect (like images/recording of our person, or our actions), are all up for grab.

Let your mind run wild, you might find all sorts of potential issues with our interactions with businesses.

How often do we think - "Wow I never thought anyone would steal that!"

I was talking to someone in the banking industry this weekend. You know how a lot of companies take images of checks instead of the actual paper? Well people have figured out how to use that to double up on the deposit. For obvious reasons he did not get into the details, but essentially they deposit the check at one bank, and then they go to another bank and do the same thing. I don't get how they aren't getting caught prior to being able to use the money they get, but he said his bank gets hit for a huge amount of money each year, as this is now fairly common. Criminals can think up all kinds of ways to steal our data, money, identity... Criminals are people. Companies employ people.

Dave
Post #1310531
Posted Monday, June 4, 2012 11:08 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
jay-h (6/4/2012)
I did not understant what IBM's objection was when I read the news article. How does this differ from doing a Google or Bing search?

Not that Siri interests me much, I don't need to chit chat with my computer.

The difference is that Google and Microsoft (Bing) are both known reputable companies that have made public, explicit statements about what they do and do not do with their data and how they protect the privacy of the search queries. And if they violate this promise a company like IBM can be reasonably sure that 1) it would get out because of their size and public profile, and 2) they have sufficient assets to be able to pay the damages that IBM could legitimately claim for failing to fulfill these promises.

Most of these things are NOT true for Apple's subcontractors.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1310663
Posted Monday, June 4, 2012 11:26 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Heh. That parody link gave me the best laugh I've had in two days, Steve. Thanks!

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #1310675
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:58 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:01 AM
Eric M Russell (6/4/2012)
I understand that the goal is to translate voice commands into web search or iPhone commands, but I don't see why it's necessary to steam the actual voice over to one of Apple's servers. Not only is that a privacy issue, but I would expect it to result in latency or loss of service issues as well.
A 3rd party could implement a client side voice recognition solution that does the same thing but only better. They wouldn't have to invest in server or operational infrastructure; just sell the widget for $5 a pop.

There is really not that much processing power on the phone. Voice recognition systems like Apple or Google have vast arrays of sound matching samplings and do considerable processing of the signal. Even a notebook, which is vastly more powerful than an iphone, does not match that performance.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1311133
Posted Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:28 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:20 PM
jay-h (6/5/2012)
Eric M Russell (6/4/2012)
I understand that the goal is to translate voice commands into web search or iPhone commands, but I don't see why it's necessary to steam the actual voice over to one of Apple's servers. Not only is that a privacy issue, but I would expect it to result in latency or loss of service issues as well.
A 3rd party could implement a client side voice recognition solution that does the same thing but only better. They wouldn't have to invest in server or operational infrastructure; just sell the widget for $5 a pop.

There is really not that much processing power on the phone. Voice recognition systems like Apple or Google have vast arrays of sound matching samplings and do considerable processing of the signal. Even a notebook, which is vastly more powerful than an iphone, does not match that performance.

For sure. Nuance does the voice recco piece. They are one of the leaders in this area, and they use powerful servers to make this happen. It's not easy, especially when you have untrained systems working on a variety of accents, inflections, and background noise.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1311268
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse