Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Attach Database failed for server 'M3' Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:22 AM
prettsons (5/30/2012)
Schadenfreude-Mei (5/30/2012)
prettsons (5/30/2012)
The I/O error (torn page) error occurs when SQL Server tried to access a page that had previously not been written to disk correctly. This can be happen due to power failure, disk failure, hardware failure when the disk is being written to.

When this error occurs, sql server ended your connection. If the torn page was detected during database recovery, then SQL Server will mark it as SUSPECT.

Solution: First Check your error logs and then restore your database form last good backups and transaction logs. It will definitely fix the problem, but you should also check your disk and fix any issues if there was a disk hardware failure. You can also use third party sql database recovery software to resolve this error.

The OP has said that there are no backups :-(

I shall suggest to Debasis Bag to try third party sql database recovery software.

I would suggest not guessing solutions until we know the extent of the damage, which we don't. As a recovery expert you must know the importance of diagnosing the problem before prescribing solutions.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1308276
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:22 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:03 PM
If I was ever dropped into this kind of situation, I'd hire Gail as a consultant - by - remote in a heartbeat, even if the money came out of my own pocket.

If any of you have ever followed any of the many corruption posts here on SSC, you'd see the breadth of her knowledge would save you tons of money just by the amount of downtime she would minimize.

I'm just sayin.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1308291
Posted Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:31 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 10:01 AM
Gail - have you got a second SSC account called "Lowell"?
Post #1308294
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:10 PM
This will only work if the SQL Server was stopped when you copied the MDF file from the old SQL Server. If you copied the file while the SQL Server was running this file probably will not attach either and you will need to get a valid backup of the database. Download help tool for sql database - SQL Server Restore Toolbox. http://www.sqlserver.restoretools.com/ You can read up more on SQL Server here. http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum/microsoft/microsoft-aa/sql-server/498-creating-a-new-database-using-an-mdf-file?_=1416149856104
Post #1636475
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse