Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Contained Database users Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:30 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/12/2012)
The AD Credential thing is interesting. If there are matching AD credentials at the instance level, the authentication takes place there first, which makes sense. So if you move a partially contained database to a server that has a matching login, the login isn't contained.

Not a big deal, but interesting.

That is interesting. I was confused by Contained versus Partially Contained and assumed your question pertained to the former. Thanks for the interesting question.
Post #1282438
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:59 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
Thanks for the question Steve. This one forced me to do some research.
Post #1282458
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:29 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 11:36 AM
thanks steve

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1282494
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:55 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:17 AM
Cliff Jones (4/12/2012)
The AD Credential thing is interesting. If there are matching AD credentials at the instance level, the authentication takes place there first, which makes sense. So if you move a partially contained database to a server that has a matching login, the login isn't contained.

That is interesting. I was confused by Contained versus Partially Contained and assumed your question pertained to the former. Thanks for the interesting question.

Contained Databases are only partially contained in SQL Server 2012. Hopefully SQL Server 2014/2015 will be completely contained.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1282653
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:03 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:48 AM
Thanks for a straightforward question, Steve!
Post #1282661
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Cliff Jones (4/12/2012)

Contained Databases are only partially contained in SQL Server 2012. Hopefully SQL Server 2014/2015 will be completely contained.

Sounds like a good place to keep SQL Server managment data and isolated from my client data. Is that an intended use for Contained Database?
Post #1282668
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:42 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:33 AM
Cliff Jones (4/12/2012)
Sounds like a good place to keep SQL Server managment data and isolated from my client data. Is that an intended use for Contained Database?

You can already do that with a non-contained database - just give nobody else access to the database.
As I understand it, the main beneift of contained databases is that they have no dependency on annything outside the database, so it's very easy to move a database to a different server. With an uncontained database, that is hell - users will be orphaned, if the new server has a different collation, you'll get all kinds of problems in your code, and lots more. A fully contained database should not have any of those problems.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1282712
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Hugo Kornelis (4/12/2012)
Cliff Jones (4/12/2012)

You can already do that with a non-contained database - just give nobody else access to the database.
As I understand it, the main beneift of contained databases is that they have no dependency on annything outside the database, so it's very easy to move a database to a different server. With an uncontained database, that is hell - users will be orphaned, if the new server has a different collation, you'll get all kinds of problems in your code, and lots more. A fully contained database should not have any of those problems.

Yes, I am familiar with that kind of purgatory . Thanks for the response.
Post #1282716
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:27 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:17 AM
Hugo took the words out of my mouth. It's mainly for HA stuff, or potentially in the future, movement of dbs to new hosts without the clients knowing. Kind of like we move VMs not with LiveMotion or Live Migration.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1282734
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Hugo took the words out of my mouth. It's mainly for HA stuff, or potentially in the future, movement of dbs to new hosts without the clients knowing. Kind of like we move VMs not with LiveMotion or Live Migration.

It didn't occur to me that this would be an HA feature but I get it now. We have to move a few TB's of databases around this week-end so I am in that space right now.
Post #1282802
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse